Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

The New Look ...

Discussion in 'Roundel Magazine' started by CRKrieger, Jan 16, 2013.

CRKrieger

I'm a little surprised that nothing has shown up here yet. It has elsewhere, so I will suggest that a quick read from one of my favorite forums would be in order:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=112810

While not all of these are club members, the input from those who are is, to say the least, interesting.

mrsbee guest

That hurt to read. Somehow, someway, I feel responsible for a multitude of angry readers (or non-readers for that matter).
    • Staff

steven s

Don't be.
    MrsBee likes this.

MGarrison

Thanks for the links C.R.

Nikki, ditto on what Steven said - be assured, you have absolutely nothing to do with all the various decisions and choices that were made by the club's top-level decision-makers as far as the Roundel, columnists, etc., nor with anyone's reactions to or feelings about any of it.

As for actual looks, what seemed to stick out to me was that the inboard text margins, the margins closest to the center where the pages are joined, oddly seemed narrower, and I felt like I was having to pull the magazine apart a bit to read the text at the edges of the columns closest to the centerline. I'm not sure that the margins are really any different than they were before, but I found myself wishing the in-board text columns margins were about 1/8", or at least somewhat, wider, so that I wasn't getting a 'text-running-&-buried-into-the-binding' effect. Best as I could tell, it looked layout-wise, like it would be possible to do that without having to change the outboard edge page margins.

I didn't like the partially-rounded diaphanous-white screen-over the front page "Roundel" text, I could happily live without ever seeing that again, I certainly didn't see any rationale for it. I'm sure it's been long gone, but the format changes reminded me that the club logo isn't in the loop of the "R" the way it used to be, and it's a real shame the club logo isn't anywhere to be found on the front page of the magazine.

I guess I'm in a miniscule minority that think history, generally, is important, and I think it's a sad day to find Joe Chamberlain's column dropped - the club was founded 44 years ago, and I always think it's a great thing to keep a link to our beginnings, for as long as possible and with our founding members that are still around, active, and participating in the club. However, it seems that musings about appreciation of our beginnings, traditions, and history of the club won't mean anything to anyone who doesn't care and won't bother reading that type of stuff anyway, which to me is just sad, but that's how it is, at least so it seems, all too often. So, I'll miss Joe's column both for his writing and for maintaining that club history link and presence - but, there will still be opportunities to visit with Joe @ O'Fest!

Visually and content-wise, except for the change-of-guard with the monthly columnists, I don't think I'm finding it radically changed enough in any particular fashion to get too worked up over things much. I try to keep some perspective about it - at a minimum, we still _have_ a magazine, thankfully; we haven't had the board nilly-willy say oh, gee, no more print Roundel, we'll just do it all in a electronically-accessible format! Yes, we should have that option, but, as expensive as it must be for printing and mailing, I vastly prefer all the tangible aspects of holding a magazine in my hands to read. If the Roundel were electronic-only, I certainly would find it a hassle to try and read it that way. So, since the Roundel soldiers on, new look, new columnists, I'll postpone any final judgments and see how it all looks going forward. Changing things is always a bit of a process, so I imagine we'll see things evolve and become further refined in coming months.

If there's anything that I find distressing, it's that these types of changes all go on and are considered within the bubble of the club & magazine management levels, and nobody quizzes the membership to see what we want, never mind the least bit of advance notice that anyone is considering changing anything or the reasons why. How hard would it be to do some polling online using this here website and solicit a little feedback from members? Even if the feedback received was only a feint and never would be given any consideration by anyone, at least club members (or the ones that give any feedback, anyway) who finance this whole gig with membership dues would at least feel like their voices and opinions meant something, even if in all final considerations they're wholly discounted. Undoubtedly club members by and large have little interest in the day-to-day doings of the national club management and Roundel, but I'm always a bit disappointed when major changes like a Roundel makeover or complete website re-design are implemented without, at least apparently, the least bit of solicitation of input from the membership base. However, that's a management issue and something for the board to consider.

Meanwhile, I'll just see what February's Roundel looks like after it gets here!

CRKrieger

Well, Nikki, I can say with some certainty that it isn't your contributions that have people upset. It's largely the sudden unanticipated loss of so many longtime contributors at the same time as a generally unanticipated change in layout. Coupled with the slow change of the character of ROUNDEL (which most aren't pleased about), this is apparently the tipping point for a number of members who were 'on the fence' about rejoining. I completely understand their reservations because I, too, am not particularly pleased about any of this - with the exception of your writing (and no, I'm not just apologetic. You're pretty good.). Because of my friends and my history, I'm unlikely to leave this club; but there are other ones where I have for much the same reasons set out in that thread. I'm waiting to see if any concessions to these concerns will be forthcoming or if ROUNDEL will drift farther and farther toward being the junket-fueled company mouthpiece and travelogue that I'm sure would delight BMW AG.

drummerfc

kgmoodyz4

A club this large cannot be everything that all members want it to be. There is alot of history and nearly as much change. I started my appreciation of BMW with a 1969 2002, in 1979 and didn't know what I had, (I wish I had that car back!), and now have a Z3 and a 528i and truely enjoy driving them. I joined BMW CCA only about 2 years ago and enjoy Roundel more than any magazine I read. I do some of my own maintenance, but not enough to call myself a mechanic. I do not follow racing closely, but enjoy reading about it. There is a little something for everyone I think. It is a shame that not everyone can be happy.
    I check the forums every day just to see what MrsBee and the other regulars have to say.
    Just my thoughts, not meant to make sense or influence anyone.
    steven s likes this.

MGarrison

I appreciate your thoughts, hopefully any club members or anyone here on the forums always feels free to offer up their own - we'd be nowhere if nobody ever said anything! ;)

floydarogers

To me, it's interesting (and I'm not sure in what way) that the complaints are on "classic" BMW car forums. There are none I've seen (granted I don't look at every forum) on e90post, bimmerfest or bimmerforums. Haven't check E46fanatics and some others...

If it's generational, count me out, as I'm about CR's age...
    • Staff

steven s

Kinda off topic but...
    I've been a forum guy for a long time. I run my own as well.
    Forums come in all flavors. I only frequent the track section on bimmerforums. Haven't really found a home anywhere else except for my forum. I think many people would be surprised how many CCA members are on the various BMW-centric forums. By the 'classic' or niche forums you are going to find liked minded people. If they weren't, they wouldn't be there. Forums are generational to some degree because people let themselves fall into the generational divide.

I question why columnists will frequent niche forums and not CCA even before the January issue was printed.
    They are always welcomed to post here. We don't even have Technical Service Advisors posting here. Sad and disappointing to me. :(

My personal opinion.

BMWCCA1

Heck, Steven. I always questioned why board members never posted here or responded. And that was back when there actually was a community here, before the last disastrous re-creation of the Club's web presence, such that it is. I'm grateful you respond and that Frank will pop up to defend indefensible decisions the Club has made, albeit quite infrequently. I think they leave the dirty-work to you. But watch out, those in charge have no loyalty to the Club, or to you!
    • Staff

steven s

Not easy being a member and employee. I knew that from the beginning.
    I do what I can. I'm replaceable. I know that too.

BMWCCA1

Replaceable, maybe, but not with OEM parts!

The membership should know how lucky they are to have you! The board and the current executive director are easily replaced. If only anyone cared anymore. Shall we open a discussion about why the last executive director was replaced? I'd love to see that one explained in public! :rolleyes:
    • Staff

steven s

Well, that was before my time. Although I am forever grateful for the last ED offering me a job.
    Even if it was part time at the time.

BMWCCA1

Huh? :confused:
    We're talking about the same person!
    • Staff

steven s

That was a done deal by the time I moved to SC.
    Wynne hired me.

BMWCCA1

Umm, I said "the last executive director". I hired Wynne, she hired you. You're welcome!

I'm not talking about the earlier arrangement because I was too involved in that to discuss it in public. Suffice it to say the president resigned rather than take action, leaving it up to me as the executive vice-pres. I guess my record is hiring or terminating two Roundel editors, two executive directors, and one Oktoberfest chairman. I'd rather be remembered for the hirings and for moving the office to SC.

I obviously didn't shy away from the difficult tasks. If you love the idea of the BMW Club, you do what is required, and what is best for the Club, not just what is convenient or what benefits you personally. But Steven knows this already.
    CRKrieger likes this.

StandingPedals

I am not a fan of the new Roundel look. Looks cheap.
    I don't like that the enthusiast content is being diluted.
    I don't much care about who was hired when, our Editor's legal troubles in Alaska, or that our Executive Director drives a Lincoln.
    I would like to know what problems were identified, and how these changes to the Roundel are supposed to fix them.

John Trevey
    Austin TX

BMWCCA1

Why not ask your Regional Vice President? Let us know if you get an answer.

And, while you're at it, ask him why the background on this change isn't logged in the board's minutes over the last several board meeting, or why the minutes from September took until January to post to the Club web site?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

And happy birthday, Phil! :)