Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best Wax Against the Elements?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by newbmw3, Nov 26, 2012.

newbmw3

I'm looking to purchase a BMW '03 BMW 530i that was previously a garaged car. It will now be a daily driver that will be parked outside in the driveway at home. I'd say the paint is currently an 8 out of 10 (black), so my major concern is protection of the paint. I live in VA, and the car will be in direct sunlight in the heat of the summer, and in the winter elements (rain, sleet etc.) in the winter. What's a good wax for long term "protection" from the elements? I would like a nice shine, but that's secondary to the need for paint protection. Anyone use a synthetic/polymer wax or some type of specialty wax not found on the store shelves, or online?

mrsbee guest

Excellent excellent question! I have my car garaged, but only during the hours that it doesn't seem to matter, or at least up until now I haven't read anything about the dangers of moonlight. My car sits out in the middle of a Plant Nursery and subject to all kinds of pollen dirt and debris, not to mention random herbicide overspray and all that jive.

To keep my coat shiny and bright (ha, sounds kind of like a dog shampoo infomercial...I digress) I use a clay once a year to remove impurities then go back over it with a synthetic wax as opposed to the carnauba. I also opt to buff before applying the synthetic wax. Last I did it - about a month ago - the process took all of about 7 hours, six pack of Spaten and a bit of patience.

This is what I use:
    http://www.topoftheline.com/claysapovrem.html
    http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g18216-ultimate-wax-liquid/
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/142/99

newbmw3

newbmw3

Hello, and thank you for your response. Thanks for sharing your process for paint protection, and sharing the fact that a six pack of Spaten plays a significant role in that process ... but as you say ... I digress :)
    I noticed that you mentioned using a synthetic wax for long lasting protection. I also felt that using a synthetic would be the way to go. I usually use Zymol, or PS21 both of which are great for shine, but they are not long lasting. Waxing 4 times per year gets to be a bit much.
    One thing you may want to try along with using the clay is using Zymol's "HD Cleanse" which is a plant extract that does a great job of cleaning the paint before the application of your wax. The cleaner makes the paint squeaky clean and allows the wax to adhere to the paint better, and produce a brilliant shine. Add this to your process and you'll see its well worth the effort. Only problem is that you may have to go for a second 6 pack of Spaten, but no pain no gain!
    MrsBee likes this.

mrsbee guest

nobody EVER has to talk me into that second 6 pack.

herbstz4m guest

In my opinion, wax is something you don't want to use.

Look into sealant. Sealant lasts longer than wax, and is meant to protect from the elements (not simply for just looks). It bonds to paint, creating a protection that no synthetic wax can match

I personally use Wolfgang 3.0 Paint Sealant, along with a wax and get awesome protection.

I do recommend these others though:

Chemical Guys Jetseal 109
    Klasse High Gloss Paint Sealant
    Opti-Seal
    Poorboys EX-P

Look into detailedimage.com and autogeek.net. Start reading up on car care and do it right.

newbmw3

Good point ... I've heard of paint sealants (Klasse High Gloss Paint Sealant) but never had the occassion to use one. I will definitely give sealants a closer look. By the way, good looking z4m with tasteful mods. Nice apex through the turn on the autocross as well!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

If you head for autogeek.com, you'd better not have any pressing appointments...
    :D

bluewagon

Why not purchase a cover?? It only takes a minute or so to put on on or take off. They have some now that breath.
    bluewagon

Satch SoSoCalifortified

They doeth?

wgarrjr

I use a cover for my "outdoors" car. It keeps the worst of the elements and critters (birds, cats) at bay, but the car will look dirtier when you take it off after a rain. I try not to let it dry on the car, and I don't cover an obviously dirty car, because if you can see the dirt, it will definitely scratch the paint putting the cover on and taking it off. I suggest one sized specifically for your car because the tighter they are (within reason) the less often you have to tie them down, and the less flapping they do on your paint job. Seasonally, the car I keep in the garage gets wax, and the one outdoors gets sealant, both after a good wash, clay, and machine polish. Rotate, "lather, rinse, repeat" about every 4 months. Satch is right about the geek...cancel your appointments, and get your credit card handy!

640ijims

Clay bar 2x per yer, "Fleetwax" aeronautical paste wax. If you follow directions very very very easy to do (wax part) and will last 3-6 months. Waxing is cathartic anyway!

640ijims

Added MeGuirs wash and wax to wash ritual..leaves a polimer/ carnuba wax on finish that looks wet when toweled or chamois dried

gregmoely

I just got my 430i in Glacier Silver Metallic last month. Here is my "over time" developed routine: I wash with Mother's Carnuba Wash (two bucket system). Before drying, I mist the wet finish with Mother's California Gold Carnuba Spray Wax - maybe 15-18 squirts over the whole car. I do this as a lubricant for drying. Three times a year, I will two step with Klasse. I don't use a machine - all hand application only! I have done this for our other three cars, and they look better than when we took delivery new. They aren't BMW's (Honda), and they go through all of the Winter road crud here in WI. But they look great with no scratches and very minimal road wear from sand, salt, and debris. Hope this helps!