Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

windows open and car unlocked: but I didn't leave it that way

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by faux a4, May 5, 2008.

faux a4

When I came out to take in the garbage can this a.m., the windows on my 2008 328it were open -- fronts both the exact same amount and the back open a different (than front) but same (as easchother) amount. The car was unlocked as well.

Is there some emergency or hazard safety thingie at work here or is it OCD neighborhood pranks?

330indy1

someone must have accidentally held the unlock button down... perhaps you or a spouse(?) if it is in her purse and some other object was pressed against it.
    this only happens if the button is held down.

just a guess....

faux a4

So, if the unlock botton is held down, it opens the windows, too? If so, that must be what happened.

Thanks.

kkratoch

Yes and if held long enough the sunroof opens also. I just wish holding the lock button would close everything.

jj546 guest

Lucky

You were lucky it was in the garage, my e39 540 was out in the pouring rain.

Blue92

Absolutely a "neat" feature. It would be nice if it worked both ways (up & down). I'd bet that someone was carrying the key in their pocket and rolled them down inadvertently. I have done this myself...
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

We have had this happen to customer cars when there was a problem with the driver's door lock mechanism. It can think that the key is being held in the unlock position (since it is a microswitch) and open the windows by itself. If it happens again, take it to a shop and have them look into it, or else it may happen when it is raining outside (and that is super bad because of the wiring and electronics under the carpet- good place for them, eh?) "Nifty" features like this are always a pain when they break.

BEman328i guest

According to the drivers reference guide I got with my '08 328:

I just went outside and it worked for me.

BTW, I'm excited to join you guys, this is my first BMW!

330indy1

hmmm, I'll have to try the "close feature" on my e39 530i after work

xanaduguy

umm I have an 08 328xi and the unlock opens all the windows just fin but if I press and hold the lock button down.. ( roundel symbol) it doesnt do anything.. just locks my doors and drains the fob battery.

I do have comfort access so i dunno if that is an issue or not.

granthr

I have a 98 328is, holding the key remote buttons doesn't do anything to my windows. BUT! If I lock the car with the key in the door and hold it in the locked position it will close the windows and sunroof. Your cars might do the same.

GR

Bluestar guest

I've ended up locking or unlocking the car in my garage inadvertently by just sitiing down. The key fob was in my rear pocket in such a way that the button was deployed.

That said, if it happens one or two more times without an explanation I'd have my BMW dealer check it out.

xanaduguy

any word on this yet? I can only get all the windows up by using the actual key in the lock and turning it.. the key fob or the comfort access ridges dont do a thing to lock it back up.

Jakester1168 guest

I'm not sure I saw that in my manual...I know it works that way to open everything, but not to close it...that would be great if it did work...I'll try later today...