Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Hurricane Sandy...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by drummerfc, Oct 29, 2012.

drummerfc

Hey out there to all from Southern New Jersey, supposedly the epi-center and "ground zero" of this so-called "monster" storm. Here's hoping that, if this thing is affecting you in anyway, you come out of it unscathed, without damage or injury, with minimal problems, and in-tact. :)

So far so good on this end...lots of high winds and rain but nothing we haven't seen/experienced in previous storms. The gusts are crazy and I hear the worst is yet to come, but so far, no issues. Luckily we're far enough away from the shore and the Delaware river, and at a high point in our neighborhood, that flooding most likely won't be an issue. Of course, anything can happen...so being a praying person, I'm talking to my maker a little more today than usual. :oops:

kgmoodyz4

my prayers are with you

charlson89

Good luck stay dry.

MGarrison

Hope all's well, Frank!

mrsbee guest

<3

I feel incredibly humbled by hearing about this. Although I hate that you're going through this, and hope that you come away with some interesting stories to tell - it has taught me a little about myself. I tend to be a very "Kick the rocks and say woe is me" kind of person. I took a moment to realize exactly how great my life really is and how devastated I'd be if it all got washed away.

You're in our thoughts!

drummerfc

Word of the day: WHEW!!!!! :eek:

First of all, thanks to the responders and their well wishes and thoughts!!! :) It's greatly appreciated, and totally underscores one big reason why someone would join a car club such as BMW CCA.

Secondly, our little family unit must have done something good in our "prior lives". All's well here at the homestead in S. Joisey. Lots of leaves litter the ground and deck, and we lost power from @10:30 PM until @1:30 AM, but other than that - no issues. No water leaks/floods, no damage, no downed trees. And the last one is the amazing one - since we're nestled in the woods and surrounded by tall oaks!

Good riddance Sandy!!!!

drummerfc

Preach it sister! I'm the same way. Interesting how every now and then, we need to be reminded how lucky we are.

Thanks.... :D
    MrsBee likes this.
    • Staff

steven s

Early 90s I remember being in Manhattan during a hurricane.
    I drove from Manhattan to Queens as the eye passed right through. Nothing like Sandy though.
    Clean up now begins for those along the coast.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Hang in there, amigos. Stay dry.

drummerfc

Muchas gracias. Some of us in NJ/NY rubbed the correct rabbit's foot - THIS time.

Others...not so. There's closed gas stations, lines of people waiting hours for gas at the stations still open, non-working traffic lights, closed roads, and no electricity - not that far away from me. I live near Cherry Hill and work in Princeton...we're all good at home but in Princeton, only an hour away from me, it's like a war-zone.

And it's even WORSE in New York City and down the shore...ugh. Poor folks. :( I plan on donating mucho dinero to relief funds next check.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Good idea. Meanwhile, it's pretty easy to send ten bucks at a time with yer cell phone:
    Text REDCROSS to 90999 to give $10 to American Red Cross Disaster Relief.
    MrsBee likes this.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

After 40 years of dodging Hurricanes & Nor'easters, we packed up our tent & moved to Texas.
    Baseball sized hail, triple digit heat & Twisters... Mother Nature has her moments.
    Did I read that BMW donated $1.0M for disaster relief?
    Proud to drive a Brand with a sense of commitment.
    • Staff

steven s

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

I don't have BMW's resourses, but I do know when join a worthy cause.
    The American Red Cross just received a donation from me, for every member
    in my family.

drummerfc

Ohhh great, now it's friggin' SNOWING here in the N/E :mad::eek:. Calling for a potential of 5 inches, with Thanksgiving still a little shy of 3 weeks away...

This is getting ridiculous.

charlson89

You guys just aren't getting a break over there. So much for global warming haha, hope the 330i is ready for the snow;)
    drummerfc likes this.

drummerfc

I was pleasantly surprised, the 330i was great driving home from Princeton to SJ!! :p Even with the RFTs...thought they'd be a big issue.

GloBULL warming, eeeek...don't get me started! ;)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Sigh. At the risk of throwing oil on the fire:

When I was studying geology and geomorphology in Alaska in the late 1960s, it was already evident that the place was warming up. Evidence was obvious even to the dull-norms that such fields as the Matanuska Glacier were shrinking... at alarming rates.

My professors pointed out something less obvious: that warmer overall temperatures would mean more moisture in the air; we would probably see great extremes in weather: heavier snowfalls, heavier rainfall, shifting patterns of where such things occurred. And extremes of heat in the summer, of course: drought, desertification, tornadoes.

A couple of years ago, when the East Coast found itself freezing under record snow dumps, some hilarious thinkers put up signs mocking global warming. I don't recall seeing those signs last summer, do you?

Of course, meteorology and all them other ologies is SCIENCE, Ferlin, an' we ain't gone let no pointy-headed perfessers tell US what to think...

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

In the late 60's... I'll say, damn near burned the house down with all those candles on my last cake!
    Glacial, Fossils & Dinosaurs, Yeah, I get a lot of that too!

mrsbee guest

I watched a documentary last night on how the "Global Increase Of Temperature Phenomenon" was endangering small single leaved ferns in dark ravines of the Blue Ridge Escarpment.

Oh, somebody please do something to save the ferns!