Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Did the Z4 M come with a mobility kit?

Discussion in 'E85/E86 Z4 M roadster/coupe (2006-2008)' started by dschultz, Oct 6, 2012.

dschultz 07 Z4 M Coupe

My new (to me) '07 Z4 M Coupe is lacking a mobility kit (and a tool kit, for that matter). The pictures in the owner's manual seem to indicate that there was a mobility kit that sat nestled on top of the battery. The dealer didn't seem to know anything about it and only had the standard kit, which while neat looking and all, doesn't seem like it belongs on top of the battery, nor would it fit. Does anyone know what was original on the car and if the original kit is available and/or worthwhile? (I know anything original will be over-priced... I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!) Also, as far as I can tell the original toolkit is no longer available. True?

Dietrich

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

My 2006 M Roadster came with a small tool kit & a can of flat fix. Never really understood what I'd do with the kit... Never opened it up to see what was inside.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Yes, the M roadster---and the coupe, too, I believe---has a small compressor and a can of goo which are strapped to the top of the battery cover. I know the compressor works, but I have never used the goo...

dschultz 07 Z4 M Coupe

Ok, nothing like belaboring a point... so here goes. This is the 06 M Roadster trunk with mobility kit and toolkit.

m roadster trunk.jpg

This is my trunk (07 M Coupe). A different arrangement entirely. So the kit must have been under the cover.

m coupe trunk.jpg

And this is what I have under the covers:

m coupe battery.jpg

No mobility kit, no toolkit, and no where obvious to put them. I assume there must have been some kind of carrier attached to the top of the battery. Anyone know more? Any while I'm at it (that is, advertising my anal retentiveness to all and sundry), is there something that goes in the mysterious space on the inside of the trunk lip? I this the space for the euro warning triangle?

m coupe trunk space.jpg

Thanks for your patience... zee coop und I are still getting to know each other.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Would RealOEM indicate the presence of the compressor and/or goo bottle?

dschultz 07 Z4 M Coupe

Good suggestion, thanks! RealOEM does show the kit, but not how it fits into the battery compartment. Doesn't seem like it would just be plopped in there to rattle around. Anyone have one of these in their coupe?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

You know, Don Louv has an M coupe. Why don't I ask him to drop in on this discussion? He actually knows stuff!

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

I think the evidence points to multiple configurations. Just an opinion, but it wouldn't be the
    first time that small variances occur over the course of a model year. Is it possible we all
    just got a slightly different package in our Roadsters.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Okay, Don Louv says when he gets home tomorrow night he'll take some pictures...

dschultz 07 Z4 M Coupe

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

I'm the proud, relatively new owner of a 2006 Z4 M Roadster, also in Interlagos Blue. When I bought the car at East Bay BMW in Pleasanton, CA this past July, I noticed that the M Mobility Kit was missing. Since I was driving the car home to San Diego I insisted that they supply the kit. They went into the parts department and came back with the canister of goo. Not knowing that the Kit also came with a compressor, I ignorantly drove home with absolutely no way to fix any flat that might have occured. When I got home and discovered that I had been shorted, I contact them and they agreed to supply a complete new Kit and shipped it to me. My trunk now looks like the trunk in your first picture.

There is a difference between the original Kit that came with the Z4 M Coupes and Roadsters and the Kit that BMW is currently selling. The old kit had a canister that was hard plastic. It was also attached to the compressor (upside-down) and the hoses were connected from the compressor to the canister and from the canister to the tire valve. The compressor (apparently) was used to literally blow the sealant out of the canister into the tire.

The new Kit has a canister that is soft plastic. In this kit, the tire valve is actually first removed from the tire with a supplied valve removal tool (extra valves are also supplied), the canister is connected to the tire valve and the sealant is squeezed from the canister into the tire. The valve is then re-installed and the compressor is used to inflate the tire to the recommended pressure. The new kit also comes in a nice zippered nylon bag with a BMW logo and a spiffy pair of nylon gloves to keep your hands clean. It also comes with some additional connectors that will inflate various rubber balls.

The canister that the dealer gave me was the old style and the Kit that they shipped to me was the new style. I was able to find a used old-style compressor on eBay so that I have period-correct parts, but I keep the new style Kit in the car. That said, I have not used either kit, and I would probably only resort to this as a last resort. My first resort would be the Slime 1034-A T-Handle Tire Plug Kit (Amazon, $8.90) that I keep in the car with AAA/BWW Assist/Liberty Mutual Roadside Assistance a close second, depending on how convenient it would be to patch it and just be on my way.

The "mysterious space" at the rear of the trunk is indeed for a euro warning triangle. The triangles are becoming hard to find (getbmwparts.com shows them as "no longer available"). Based on pictures circa 2006-2007, I believe that the one that came with the Z4 (for Euro cars) had a blue case. I test-fit the red-cased triangle from my wife's E92 and it fit perfectly, so I just ordered the P/N for that car from ECS Tuning (ES#2063860, OEM #71606770487, $29.95). The triangle is held in by two rubber straps. One end has a horizontal pin through the rubber that fits in the bottom slot and the other end has a round nub on it that fits into the top slot and holds the triangle case in place. I ordered the rubber straps from getbmwparts.com (OEM #51-47-8-398-113, $9.79/ea.). As for the styrofoam tray, if you can't find it on RealOEM.com try asking for a part number at ZPost.com, a great source for Z information, or the Z3/Z4 forums on Bimmerfest.com.

Hope this helps!

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

If your car didn't come with the M Mobility Kit you may also be missing the tool pouch and tools that came with the car. In the coupe this is also stored under the battery cover. You can see the pouch, with it's red edge trim, sticking out of it's storage area in the picture of the Roadster trunk. My car was missing the tool pouch, which I also noticed, so the dealer got a new tool pouch from parts. The pouch had a reversible screwdriver in it and a tow hook that was the wrong size (I didn't try test fitting it before I drove away). Again, I tried the tow hook from my wife's E92 and it fit, so I went to the dealer and bought one of those (#72-16-7-070-643) for $28.94(!) after my BMW CCA discount. The tool pouch was also supposed to come with a small 10mm/13mm open end wrench, a emergency handle to be able to secure/unsecure the convertible top should the motor fail, and a small plastic bag of various fuses. A fellow member has a 2008 Z4 M Coupe (also Interlagos Blue!) that he bought new and this is what his kit contained. I bought the emergency handle (a square-z shaped allen wrench) at getbmwparts.com (#54-10-7-199-321, $1.73) and the open end spanner wrench (#07147129160) from my dealer for $10.06. I bought the fuses with an included fuse puller at a local auto parts store and put them in a plastic baggie.

BTW, getbmwparts.com has the M Mobility Kit for $135.00, #71100413439.

dschultz 07 Z4 M Coupe

Wow! Thanks Tom! I'd also found some of these parts sources but you really pulled it all together. I came across this eBay item with what looks like all the original pieces:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-TOOL-KI...ERGENCY-KIT-Part-71102282822-02-/160725016050

I believe the part number is correct for my coupe, except for the -02 suffix. Sadly, no styrofoam tray. In any case, from your description, the newer mobility kit is better if you actually expect to USE it, vs. just look at it. :)

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

The compressor in the new Mobility Kit that I have looks like the one in the eBay picture except that mine is blue rather than black. The P/N is 71106777047. The new-style compressor has the gauge built into the compressor case and the hose and electrical cord fit are stored into a recess around the back of the compressor. The new-style canister has a large screw-top fitting and a screw-on cap with tube that attaches to the tire valve. The P/N is 71100415041.

The old-style compressor that I bought on eBay is a dark gray. The P/N is 71102282832-01. The pressure gauge is attached to the hose and the hose and electrical cord store inside the compressor case behind a flip-down opening that actually holds the canister upside-down. The old-style canister has a plastic fitting on top with an attached hose that screws onto the tire valve with another fitting on it for the hose from the compressor. The P/N is 71102282826 on the canister I bought on eBay and 71102282826.9 on one the dealer initially provided. While both old-style canisters appear identical the labels are different.

Given that the P/N is the same with a different suffix, the compressor shown on eBay is possibly a revised version of the old-style compressor where they've moved the pressure gauge to the case, like the new style. The canister shown is definitely the old style because you can see the hose attached to the fitting on the top.

Note that the Z4 M Maintenance Schedule calls for the canister to be replaced every four years. There is an expiration date printed on the label of each canister. The old-style canister that I bought on eBay expired in 8/2012, the old-style canister initially provided by the dealer expires on 11/2015, and the new-style canister provided by the dealer in the full kit has no expiration date on the label but has 141215 printed on the bottom (?).

I have some errands to run but I'll take pictures and post them later today or tomorrow, since, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Wait, the ROADSTER doesn't have a place for the triangle, does it?

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

Yes! The warning triangle (71606770487, $29.95) and the straps ( 51478398113, $9.84) are both available from ECS Tuning. (Click on the part numbers for the links.)

This is the picture of the warning triangle mounted in my M Roadster:

[IMG]-

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Hey, wait: Where'd that CARPET come from?! I ain't got one o' them, neither!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

That's not $9.84 PER STRAP, is it?!

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

I was wondering whether anyone was going to ask about that too! BMW P/N 82110414672.

shopbmwusa.com, $62.50
    getbmwparts.com, , $50.00
    ECS Tuning, $52.45

And yes, the straps are $9.84 each from ECS Tuning ($9.79 from getbmwparts.com)