Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What did you do to/for your BMW today?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by E46BAV90, May 18, 2011.

cobrajunkie

Replacing cracked weatherstriping on windshield, putting performance stage 1 tune on and getting door ding fixed from some kids who decided to throw rocks at my car while i was driving.

mrsbee guest

I sincerely hope you stopped your car and flogged those demonic kids and taught them to respect such an incredible automobile.

Save the rocks for the domestic crap. Corvettes get more points.

Offer bribes.

Oops, my mob heritage is slipping out.

Me? I dusted the dust (hmpf) off my wheels.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Oh, does the iX count? Early this month I had the timing belt changed. Then we took it to Eastern Washington for the Nor'Wester Rally. We were in the lead by one point Saturday night, but that's not much of a cushion, and sure enough, we wound up in second place---by four seconds after two days of rallying.

Man, I had almost forgotten how much fun it is to sling gravel in an iX!

330indy1

put on new wheels/tires for Octoberfest road trip
    [IMG]
    MrsBee likes this.

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

Last Friday I decided to start on Inspection I on my car since I have confirmation that the original owner didn't have it done because the car was two years out of warranty. I bought it in July with 31,800 miles on it and drove it back from the Bay Area. The mileage is now at about 33,800.

I did an oil and filter change, flushed the brake fluid (ATE Super Blue Racing), replaced the engine air filter, and the cabin air filter (PITA!). A fellow club member with an E46 M3 has the shim kit and the shim installation tool and he's offered to help me do the valve adjustment. Now I'm just waiting for the valve cover gasket set to come from ECS Tuning, which won't be here for at least another week.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

...I'm not sure I'd use racing brake fluid...

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Oh, I forgot: I broke down and cleaned the roadster and waxed it. Oops: Waxing reveals the tiny imperfections that really want to be addressed with a buffer or new paint!
    :eek:

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

This is what everyone in the club was recommending for a car that's autocrossed. (Which BTW, I haven't seen you at all summer!)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

What? You use BRAKES when you autocross?!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Yeah? Well, I didn't see you at Monterey or Ohio, neither!

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

Maybe I drive faster than you. ;) They're also handy when I come to the end of the course. :)

dschultz 07 Z4 M Coupe

Had the car for two weeks. Headlight went out. Read somewhere that xenon headlights aren't covered under CPO. Ordered new bulbs online. Waited 4 days. Jacked up car, removed front wheel (for a headlight... oh what we won't put up with for our UDMs!) Installed new bulb, weird noises, still no light. Reverse steps. Call dealer. Oh, yes, they cover the xenon bulbs, igniter and controller under CPO. Make appt with dealer. Will know Monday evening whether my one-eyed coupe is back to two.

mrsbee guest

I installed new front brake pads, ooo, sounds kind of lame in comparison to everybody else's exciting projects - but on the high side, I did it instead of paying somebody else an astronomically high amount to do it for me! :)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Oh, no! You started up the controversy all over again: ROTORS AND PADS, or PADS ONLY?!

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

I gave my M3 a break and signed up for a 2 day M School in March. :)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Apparently Nikki went and drove the wheels off her 1 Series. . .
    What?! A driving school on THURSDAY?!
    MrsBee likes this.

mrsbee guest

Nah, the wheels stayed on... It was the tires that got driven off... And the wax, and the gas, and the brakes....

MGarrison

Wasn't today, but since shortly before O'Fest it's been front control arms and bushings, front and rear wheel bearings, rear parking brake shoes and backing plates, rear rotors, front rotors, rear shocks, an alignment, rear swaybar heim-joint, repairing/re-welding rear swaybar trailing-arm mounting, brake fluid flush, front & rear track pads, oil change, and flipping some track tires on rims to even out the wear. And, a washing.

kgmoodyz4

I installed the front upgrade speakers in my Z3 from Bavarian Soundwerks. If I had only ordered the correct rear speakers, it would have been a complete upgrade. They were great to work with in getting the order correct and helping with the instructions.

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

Did a valve adjustment today on the Z4 M Roadster. Went very smoothly, thanks to a fellow club member's experience and expertise, his shim kit, and particularly his very thin telescopic magnetic retrieval tool, which came in mighty handy a couple of times as we both dropped a shim. The valve cover and valve train looked pretty clean.

I also got the results of the Blackstone Labs analysis of the first oil change that I did on the M Roadster on 10/5. According to the service history, after the 1200 mile service, the original/previous owner had the oil changed 13 months later and then 18 months later, then the warranty timed out. All I knew was that after that he had it changed by a BMW mechanic off the books, the last time in November. He owned a motorcycle and rode that most of the time and he averaged just over 6,000mi./yr. on the car, never tracked or autocrossed. Here's what Blackstone had to say:

"You weren't sure on the oil type, so we're happy to confirm that it was indeed 10W/60 oil. We can also report that it looks like the previous owner took good care of this BMW. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 4,900 miles on the oil. We don't know how long this oil was run, but with wear this close to average, we think something in the 4,000-5,000 mile range would be a good guess. The TBN was still plenty strong at 4.0, so lots of active additive was left (1.0 is too low). Now, go out and have some fun."

All Inspection I items are now complete and the car is in good health!