Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Your Opinion on Two Charlottesville VA BMW Shops

Discussion in 'BMW' started by Dave G, May 2, 2008.

Dave G guest

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the forums, but I've followed them over the years. Some great folks here, so I'm hoping someone can help with a quick question.

My girlfriend will be relocating to the University of Virginia in Charlottesville from out of state, and we're looking for a replacement shop to handle out of warranty work on her E46.
    I have found two possibilities in the area and would love an opinion on either from people who may have dealt with them, or have a close friend who has. The first is an independent BMW-only shop called Blueridge Motor Works. The second is a dealer in the area- BMW of Charlottesville. Has anyone had experience with either?

Thanks for any help,

Dave

BMWCCA1

I have friends at both shops. Dealers are dealers. Their labor rate is higher and their quotes are sometimes astronomical but that's true everywhere. They do give a generous parts discount for BMW CCA members and they don't fiddle with the "list" price before they discount. Very nice folks. But an independent has a much lower overhead, especially Blueridge. They are great guys, their labor rates are lower, but they are also BMW Master Techs so they know what they're doing and they know what their work is worth. They are not a corner gas station so their rates may still seem high to some, especially depending on where your GF is coming from. Both shops will do good work. It's likely to be cheaper at Blueridge but don't hesitate to get quotes from both on work you may need. Blueridge uses correct parts and actually has more years of BMW knowledge than the dealership. The two principles have been working on BMWs, Porsches and Audis since the 2002 was new model and they also have the latest diagnostic equipment for working on any new BMW model.

Welcome your GF to a great place to live. Just promise she won't tell anyone else about it! ;)

Dave G guest

Thanks for the quick reply BMWCCA1. Glad to hear that Blueridge is so competent as we were hoping to find a good independent. We're coming from Boston, so I'm sure their labor rate won't probably seem so bad.

jesimmons guest

Dave,
    I grew up in Charlottesville, and visit family there often. Now live in DC area. C'ville is a great place to live, but don't expect costs to be hugely less than Boston. C'ville is not a cheap place to live. Only slightly lower than DC Metro area. :(

Good luck with the BMW.