Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Sirius problem - not getting all expected (paid for) stations...

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by drummerfc, Jun 20, 2012.

drummerfc

After taking delivery of my '06 330i last week, I called Sirius satellite radio and made the switch from the prior receiver (the kind you clip onto a suction-based bracket sticking to the windshield, and plug into the lighter) to the one built-into my ride. The built-in system (which also includes bluetooth, an aux jack, and of course AM/FM/CD, which means less after-market junk cluttering up the car) is great...

...except...for some reason I don't get all of the stations I did on the prior receiver (that I pay for with my Sirius package each year). When you call them, they refresh the signal...that gave me some of the missing stations but I'm still missing several of them. This is where we now stand with this problem as of a call to their tech support staff earlier today. Is there anything I can do on the BMW-side to try to alleviate this problem? Is there something I should tell the Sirius tech staff that I may have originally missed?

Open to all help/suggestions here...thanks!

MGarrison

I wish I had some helpful suggestions - I can think of all kinds of unhelpful ones; give a search on bf.c and bimmerfest.com?

drummerfc

I'll check them. Sometimes those sites are a real crap-shoot and time consuming to boot! IF you find someone who posts about experiencing the exact problem you are having, and IF they drive the same car you do, you will get the info you need. With my prior car and the oil use issue, there were many suggestions but I'm not sure which of them would have been the one for MY car!

Give me your "unhelpful" ones...you never know - one of 'em might do the trick! ;)

MGarrison

If a signal 'refresh' helped the first time, try that again a few more times?

Pyewacket1

Here's my suggestion, if you haven't already tried it...

Immediately before you go for a ride, either call and have them send the refresh signal, or you can issue it yourself from the website. Before doing it, have the car out in the open, with the engine running and ready to go.

Then, go for a 15-20 minute drive.

I say this because, back when XM and Sirius finally merged, several Sirius channels got renumbered, and I remember driving along and watching the channels renumber as I drove, and if I recollect, it took 5-10 minutes for it to finalize the entire suite of channels.

Of course, if you have already tried this, then my suggestion probably isn't going to help much. Good luck! Let us know how it ends up!

drummerfc

Thanks....but...been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and mug, aaaannnnnd...zip...nada...niente...ungazz (pardon my Italian, hope my mother didn't hear that!). :mad: Even tried it a couple of times. Did a rain-dance with my head up to the sky holding a divining rod while at it and nothing (LOL!).

Thanks anyway for the suggestion. Guess I will have to call them back and start harassing management. I love (read LOVE!) satellite radio and I love it even more built-into the car...there's nothing like listening to by-gone songs from my teens/20s...classic new-wave, disco, light classic rock, harder-core classic rock, plus a boat-load of other great stuff...but this is truly annoying.

At this point I don't know if the problem is with Sirius or the unit in the car. Logic tells me...if I had all of the stations before with Radio A...and I switched to Radio B - kept the same account (which I did), and the only thing that changed is the hardware...ergo, the problem is with the radio and NOT the provider.

Will keep you posted (provided this isn't a mind-numbing topic)...

Pyewacket1

Sorry to hear you're still having problems, but I can tell you from much personal experience with Sirius/XM that logic may have little or nothing to do with it.

Pyewacket1

This idea just came to me....

If you still have the original radio, why not swap the account back to it briefly and see if you get all the channels you one received? If you do, doesn't that point the finger directly at the BMW receiver?

I'll admit, I'm grabbing at straws here.

drummerfc

That's a good idea...but the original radio is sadly no longer around. I kept it in the E39 because I had installed it (ran the wires out of sight) best I could so it didn't look "cheesy".

Thanks anyway, appreciate the help.