Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rental Track Cars for Ofest !!

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2012' started by Bob Wright, May 18, 2012.

Bob Wright

Hello there Boys and Girls !

Coming in from out of town for Ofest? Don't want to tow all that way....or beat up on your Baby on track. Well we have just the thing for you.

Bent Splitter Racing will be on-site all week offering fully prepared BMW Club Race Cars for use during the HPDE sessions during the week. Cars are available before our races start on Friday, so get in touch and make your reservations now ! Only $ 599 a day for the thrill of a lifetime.

www.bentsplitter.com
    724-872-5221

Bob

Are these cars ok to use during the driving school ? Rules say "no rentals". Also pictures show only drivers seat.
    Rules say you need a seat for the instructor. Please advise.
    • Staff

steven s

Where did you see no rentals?
    For DEs, all cars must have a passenger seat with equal restraints.

MGarrison

It would have to be confirmed, but isn't it likely that a no-rentals policy would mean no hert/avis/enterprise/&c. cars vs. what they're talking about above?

Interesting to note I saw the for-sale ad for that red/gold rental E30 last year, was up for quite awhile on either craigslist or some other website, I recall thinking it sounded like a reasonable deal. Awful paint scheme though... :p

My bad... different set of driving school rules. I will be giving Bent Splitter Racing a call.

Kurt OH guest

So, are there cars for rent that can be used for the Driving Schools?
    • Staff

steven s

This thread is regarding renting race cars.

Do you really want to use a car rented car from Avis or Hertz?

Kurt OH guest

I'll guess that you were replying to me, since your post followed mine.

NO, of course I'm not talking about something like that.

I have a friend flying in from out of town. He is an accomplished driver and racer, and would like to drive on the Mid Ohio track. He's not a BMWCCA club racer and he's not bringing a car. He'd like to rent a car to drive on the track. I'm assuming that since he's not currently involved in BMWCCA racing, that he's not going to be able to qualify or get involved.

So, back to the question: is there any legit source of a track prepped car for rent, to be used at Mid Ohio for the HPDE track days/times?
    • Staff

steven s

Thought you were looking at typical rentals.

You can contact Bob in the first post or ask on bimmerforums.
    I have no idea what the qualifications are to rent a race car.

Bob Wright

Sorry for the delay.
    YES, there are race seats and harnesses for both the driver and Instructor for the cars !
    My webmaster is a bit behind in adding some new photos
    Check out our site on facebook ( Bent Splitter Racing)for lots of good stuff !
    and our website is
    www.bentsplitter.com
    Base price is $ 599 per day for the most fun you can have with your clothes on !

Bob

Bob Wright

Since there is an Instructor in the car, we will accept Novice students. We will set up the car with the proper tires and brakes for the experience level of the renter !
    All are welcome to have the thrill of a lifetime !

Bob

Bob Wright

Yea, they are talking about renting a Camaro from Avis and taking it back with no tires or brakes after the event.....kind of thing....smile. My cars are welcome. I know the guys in charge...smile.

Bob

Kurt OH guest

Sounds like renting a car is available and suitable.

Next questions (for BMWCCA staff):

My friend is coming over from Great Britain. He is licensed to drive there, but of course does not hold an Ohio (or any USA) driver's license, so:

1. Can he participate in the HPDE sessions?
    2. Do the BentSplitter cars meet all your requirements for these HPDE sessions?

Thanks!

Kurt
    • Staff

steven s

1. Sorry but no. Needs a driver's license.
    Maybe if he gets an International license.
    2. As long as it passes tech and has equal restraints, I don't see why not.

Kurt OH guest

Can you please tell me, are you the person who decides? If so that's fine - I'm not trying to be impolite - but your answers are all phrased as guesses, and I need to get actual "official" answers, as this is a question of significant expense (probably $1000 / day to sign up for DE and rent a car under this scenario).

If you're not the decider, can you guide me to the correct contacts?

Thanks!

Bob Wright

We seem to let the Canadians on track Steven. Is that different than EU, as far as drivers license goes ?
    Curious now.

Steven is Mr. Ofest..... Kurt. He is trying his best to do things from a remote desk. Our rental cars would certainly pass "Tech", as our requirements to race are far in excess of what is required for DE use. The car will not be the issue I assure you.

Kurt OH guest

Interesting.

I don't doubt that at all, and I sincerely apologize if I have in any way suggested disrespect or impoliteness, as that is completely counter to my intent. I just want to make sure that my friend can drive on the track if he ends up choosing to do so. I'd much rather resolve these issues with certainty now, rather than show up with $1000s invested and then have to sort this out or try to un-do it all.

Fantastic.

Thank you both (Steven, Bob) for your help.

Kurt
    • Staff

steven s

Good point which brings me to something else to consider.
    Everyone registering for Ofest must be BMW CCA members as are our members to the North.

Kurt OH guest

Yup. No problem. Just need the official OK / guidance on the license issue.
    • Staff

steven s

No problem for your friend.
    Just remember, passing is on the left on the front straight and the right side on the back. :)