Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Oil Change Intervals

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by 330indy1, Apr 29, 2008.

?

Oil Change Interval Regimen of CCA Enthusiasts

3000 to 5000 miles 15 vote(s) 31.9%
5000 to 7500 miles 20 vote(s) 42.6%
7500 to 10,000 miles 10 vote(s) 21.3%
> 10,000 miles 2 vote(s) 4.3%

Dr Obnxs guest

I always knew that as

an Italian tune up... But then, I had a Fiat 124 spider with a two barrel Webber. I guess that should have been a perpetual tune up! Actuall, it's been one of the more fun cars I owned. Along the lines of driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow...

Matt

ArizonaNorse

SLUDGE
    Engine sludge is a thick, dark substance that can build up and clog the oil passages within an engine.

Normal engine combustion creates gases, water vapor, fuel fragments and acids inside the engine.

These by-products of combustion are held in suspension in the motor oil. If the oil is changed at regular intervals, most of the sludge particles are drained away with the used oil. However, if the oil is not changed regularly over time these by-products begin to group together to form sludge.

The main cause of sludge is from extending drain intervals beyond the car manufacturer's recommendation. But we have seen sludge in customer's cars that follow the oil change/service indicator on the dashboard or the manufactures recommendation in the maintenance manual. On the average the service indicator will count down from 7,500 miles to 15,000 miles between oil changes. And vehicles without service indicators the drain intervals are from 7,500 to 10,000 miles. But these recommendations are only under normal driving conditions.

Problem is normal driving conditions do not exist in the real world.

Most drivers drive under severe driving conditions definitions, under which more contaminants are produced. If you drive in hot or cold weather, in dusty or muddy conditions, on rough roads, in lots of stop and go traffic, make frequent short trips, and/or drive in coastal areas or where road salts are used, you are a severe driver.
    Sludge can happen to any vehicle, regardless of the car's age or mileage.

In fact back in 1998 when a certain manufacture introduced their FSS (flexible service system) which was suppose to tell the difference between normal and severe driving conditions, they were having a high engine failure rate. So bad that the issued a bulletin to the owners of those vehicles (I think the bulletin came out 2001 or 2002). The bulletin stated if the driver was going to go by the FSS recommendations on there dashboard, that they should switch to synthetic oil.

Sludge build-up within your engine can cause a decrease in engine performance and reduced fuel efficiency. Sludge can clog and restrict primary oil flow passages, oil return passages, and filter elements leading to reduced engine lubrication. It will reduce the cooling ability of the oil causing an increased strain on the cooling system. It will increase engine noise.

Once sludge builds up in an engine, it is difficult, if not impossible, to remove. In extreme cases over time, sludge build-up could cause engine failure, which can cost a consumer thousands of dollars in repairs.
    The pictures show a severely sludged engine, this engine is beyond help. It needed major engine repair at a high repair cost.
    There is hope if an engine has sludge. Minimal amounts of sludge we can clean up, we would have to evaluate it on a case by case basis.
    But we recommend not allowing sludge to form. Lowering your oil change interval and depending on the year and make, changing over to synthetic oil is a start.

330indy1

where are the pictures as described in this memo above about sludge?:confused:

330indy1

:eek:
    I think I am going.... to... be... sick

az3579

I think that was copied and pasted... I Googled for some pics and found one that's really bad. Watching this is kind of like watching someone's guts falling out. *shudder*

Click here to view picture

ArizonaNorse

Yes, it's not pretty; I tried attaching a photo to the sludge article, but it didn't take. The follow-up photo is just as descriptive.

cougarclaws guest

With oil being the way it is now, and a possibility of running out eventually, I think it should be illegal to run conventional motor oil as a lubricant. Changing oil every 3k is similar to sticking with LPs. It is wasteful and contributes to the rediculous oil prices. Get an MP3 or at least a cd player........

330indy1

bumpety bump bump!

;)

bradley01 guest

Sorry. Still driving, but just not as much now that gas is $4.36 a gallon here! :mad:

cougarclaws guest

MY CAR IS HERE!!!!!!!! I Get it Next WEEK!!! 08 E92 Graphite Silver Metallic. Tech,Perf, Cold weather packages. Premium Sound. Carbon fiber trim!

WoooHooo!!!!!!

bradley01 guest

^Congrats! When will they change the oil for the first time? ;-)

az3579

$4.49 here and going up $0.10 every few days. Beat that. :mad:

Congrats big time! :D

bradley01 guest

I don't want to...:(