Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wellll...I took the plunge...

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by drummerfc, Jun 12, 2012.

drummerfc

...traded in my 2002 E39...

(A moment of silence, if you please, for a really nice car that I enjoyed like I can't describe......thanks.)

...and took home the '06 E90 330i last night.

And all I can say is WOWEEE!!! What a car! :D :D

It's a CPO 2006 330i with 6-speed manual, Logic7 sound (complete with Bluetooth, Sirius sattelite AND Aux jack for listenting to iPOD/Pandora!), loaded, clean as a whistle inside and out, Dark Blue with tan interior and wood-grain trim, @49000 miles at time of delivery...VERY happy right now.

Yessss...it has run-flats...which I wasn't initially happy about. But after driving the car on a test drive and driving it @50 miles to work today, the car rides solid and smooth. I expected the tires to feel like the stone ones on Fred Flintstone's car, but was pleasantly surprised. I won't replace the run-flats with new RFTs when it's time for new rubber, opting instead for conventional tires, but for now they are better than I originally expected.

Yessss...it doesn't have a dipstick. But I have a button I can push that tells me what the oil level is without getting out of the vehicle. No, I won't be able to look at the oil color but I have old-school maintenance done on my cars anyway so the oil will be changed at least every 5K regardless.

Pics to follow...(which by the way, how DOES one upload pictures to a post...can I simply push the "Upload a File" button, or does the picture have to be on the web w/a URL? :confused:)

Joy indeed!!

drummerfc

As promised above...3 quick pics...

920484492414977942.jpg 920484492414977942_6.jpg 920484492414977942_12.jpg

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

Congratulations! That's a nice looking car (and kudos for posting photos before anyone hassled you) ;)

MGarrison

Ditto, congrats on the new ride!

drummerfc

Thanks!!

Yeah LOL...I've heard more than my share of "pics or it NEVER happened"!! :cool:

drummerfc

Grazie! Very enjoyable ride indeed...

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Very nice. Did they treat you fairly on the e39 trade?

drummerfc

Meh...OK, not great, I have to admit. I probably could have done better selling it outright, but in the interest of full-disclosure, I would have to tell a prospective buyer that the thing was drinking oil like an alcoholic...to the tune of 2 qts every wk-10 days or so. I couldn't sell it and NOT say anything, it wouldn't be right IMO.

What made me take the leap was this very problem. I had a bunch of stuff done a while back (gaskets, Vanos and the like) to correct a leak, but I continued to have to add oil on a pretty regular basis...much more regular than I think should have been. So 2 weeks ago I bring it in explaining how it's using oil rapidly...they installed a new PCV Valve and told me "this may correct it but it may not and we'll go from there, you had some oil in the plugs etc.". I'm seeing $$$$$ flash before my eyes in repairs as we speak. A week later, BLING - on goes the "Check Engine Oil Level" reading on the OBC. NEWMAN! - I had to add 2 more qts. only a week after repairs/oil service.

So that was that, long story somewhat shorter... :p

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Wow, I see why you pulled the trigger on a replacement car. I'm assuming there were no other oil loss manifestations (smoke, puddles), but how many miles did the e39 have on it?

drummerfc

@158,000 miles. Still ran and looked great...

And no smoke, no puddles or spots (once the leaks were fixed).