Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1000 miles worth of Bugs...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by eblue540, May 6, 2012.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Drove 3/4 the length of PA, then straight North to the Niagra Falls area of Ontario. Enjoyed a perfect day being a wine-tasting tourist. Then back home across NY State via southern tier expressway, then due south from Binghampton NY to the Lehigh Valley. After loading an entire dorm room into the car, then home.

This was what the "Touring" BMW was designed to do.

Going to need a good cleaning though:

[IMG]

brucembergeron

Had a similar trip over the weekend. I flew out from NH to St. Louis and picked up a E36 M3. Drove it back to NH which gave me a chance to drive Rte 6 most of the way across PA. Had a great time driving through the hills and back roads. Had an opportunity to ride with a Mustang GT for about 30 miles. His car was piped up and sounded great. He tried to sneak away a number of times, but realized it wasn't possible. Fun trip. And yes, the bugs were out, and the front of the M3 was covered.

I-80 to US219 north? I-80 to US15 north and then over to the Genessee Valley is a great route. Letchworth Park in NY is like a miniature National Park

Actually, to Harrisburg on the PA Tnpk, then 322 North to 144 around State College to I-80 West for about 20 miles. Then off I-80 at 153 at SB Elliott State Park, North, through the woods to US 219, continuing North through Bradford, into NY State and up into Buffalo. Really very nice drive.

All in one day and you stopped at some of the wineries? You seem like a Red Bull and black coffee guy.

There's lots of neat things on that route in NY, like the Erie Canal, Letchworth Park, Glen Curtiss Museum, Watkins Glen, etc. In PA, the route basically offers trees and nice roads. If you stay on US322 north of Seven Mountains, the road now bypasses the sprawl of State College and continues on to Philipsburg where you can join I-80.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Yeah, like all the museums I have passed going across the country killing bugs: We ain't TOURISTS, dude, we're EXTERMINATORS!

Wineries. lake front vista's and museums or miles and dead bugs...............That's a pretty simple choice;)

BTW - those wineries often offer some better food choices than dried cranberries and almonds.

This is all in jest, you know..

Actually, we did the wineries of the Niagra are of Ontario the next day - all day! The drive up took us about 5 and 3/4 hours - had an appointment to make, so we only got half the bugs during that trip! The next day was touring and visiting. Many bottles of ice-wine returned with us!

I am a big fan of industrial history and look forward to a slower trip up there later this year.

All those en-route attractions you mentioned and other things were noted and will be the reason that our trip back from O-fest will take several days in late September!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

My route usually includes West Texas, and the only museum I care about there is the Chaparral Museum in Midland...

That sounds more like a sane man that can appreciate the quality of his ride. Your route took you within a few miles of my home, depending on how you intersected I-80 from PA144.

Enjoy the ice wine........ it's a very good choice for someone that likes German cars

brucembergeron

I'm not Italian, but the more I look at the bowl of spaghetti south and north of PA I 80, the more I talk with my hands and talk like Tony Saprano. I think I need a whole day to drive around those squiggles. Rte 666 looks especially nice. Perhaps short, but good fun...

If the pavement is sound (ie the water and gas drilling rig trucks have not pounded it too badly), these roads can be very nice indeed!