Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E93 Cabrios not allowed on track days

Discussion in 'Driving Schools' started by Scootguy51, Apr 3, 2012.

Scootguy51

I have been notified that I cannot be involved in track days if driving our 335i Cabrio, as it it a "convertible" and needs an installed roll bar.
    I would think that, with a hard top and pop up roll protection, the CCA would consider it worthy of some instructional track time.
    Why would the CCA not consider the H/T convertible safe?
    Has anyone else run into this situation?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I fear you have encountered a wall that does not look like it will be breached any time soon. . . :(

MGarrison

Unfortunate for cabrios perhaps, but it's a judgment call in favor of safety for students and instructors. BMWCCA driver's schools are _relatively_ safe and have an excellent safety record; the events are always structured to maximize safety. However, things can still happen, despite the best-laid plans - it is impossible to cover every variable that could potentially be disastrous in a convertible. I believe you would be hard pressed to find a volunteer club instructor who would raise their hand to express willingness to be in any convertible in a roll-over situation without a roll bar or roll cage properly designed and installed to minimize the risk of personal injury for both driver and instructor. Even though recent BMW convertibles have folding hard tops, the hard top's structural integrity is unlikely equal to that afforded by b & c pillars extending to a roof.

I don't know for sure, but it may also be a requirement of the insurer for the club's driver's schools. I don't know if cabrios can run the auto-x or not, but perhaps, as auto-x is a lower-speed event than driver's schools.

Sorry for the news on that front, you're far from the first to be disappointed by the convertible restriction for club driver's schools.

Scootguy51

Sad news indeed!
    So, it's back to the Z06, with a portion of that 600hp screaming and those coil-overs coiling and those H/D sway bars (not) swayin'.....Life can be tough sometime!
    But seriously, I just wanted to slow it down a bit to work on the finer skills, rather than wrestling that beast around the track, which I am prone to do, as there is great deal of audible mechanical stuff going on that removes one a bit from the concentration of it all.
    Thanks for your input.
    • Staff

steven s

Convertibles are allowed in autocross.
    Convertibles are allowed in driving schools with the proper safety equipment. Fixed rollbar and some chapters require arm restraints. It is the option of the chapter whether to allow convertibles. Some do, some don't.
    Put an egg under your gas pedal. :)

Scootguy51

Thanks for the input on this issue.
    I am going to go outside the box next Monday and do a Novice HPDE on Monday at Lime Rock with Sports Car Driving Association. As the Cab does not have many miles and really belongs to the Mrs., I will try to keep the shiny side up for most of the day.
    I will give you my impressions (at five or six tenths, or maybe four???) next week!
    • Staff

steven s

Tenths is a relative term. ;)
    Enjoy and do keep the shiny side up.

Scootguy51

So it turned out to be a great day at Lime Rock, with a gaggle of "fives", some "fours" and that one d*mn "three"...Gotta work on that line!
    Having Mr. Andretti (Jeff!) as our classroom mentor did not hurt. I will be going back soon to tame turns one through three. Thanks for having me, SCDA. It was good, safe fun.
    • Staff

steven s

I don't care how many times you go to the track, there is always something to work on. I'm glad you were able to drive like these cars are intended to be driven.