Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Convertible top problems with 328i CPO

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by dayle_hmg, Mar 23, 2012.

dayle_hmg

Shortly after(less than a week) I took possession of my CPO 2008 328i convertible toward the end of April 2010, I began to have issues with the convertible top. The first signs were rattles and then I noticed a gouge forming in paint on the side of the first roof panel. Between the time I noticed those things and the time that I took the vehicle back to the dealer, the front passenger side top latch began to stick and jam. When the dealer looked at the vehicle they stated that the previous owner probably placed something in the trunk in one of the verboten areas. Long story short: they kept the vehicle fixed and repainted the top.
    No problems till about a month ago, when I stared to notice the rattle again and another paint gouge forming. The vehicle, still under original warranty, was taken in. I just received a call from the service advisor, stating that the problem was due to something being improperly placed in the trunk when the top had been retracted and this was not a warranty issue and the repair would probably end up being my responsibility as the damage must have occurred after the CPO inspection. By the way, I am extremely compulsive about where I stow items in the trunk and no one else drives the car.
    I am in possession of the vehicle’s service history that clearly describes this problem Before I took possession of the vehicle. I only discovered this after my most recent conversation with the service advisor.
    Looking for advice on how best to proceed, as I see two issues at this point: 1) having the top properly repaired and 2) given that the top has been repaired for this issue twice already, what assurance can I possibly have that this won’t be a recurrent (expensive) issue? The third issue, of course, is that up to this point, the dealership has not been up front with me on this at all.
    At this point I am waiting to hear back from the service advisor who is checking with the service manager on this item.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    -Dayle

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well, at least it should be covered by your warranty. . . although at this point, you might want to start looking for another dealer!

dayle_hmg

Point is, they are saying "owner error" and therefore not covered by warranty.