Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

My BMW Remote iPhone App.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by Pyewacket1, Feb 21, 2012.

Pyewacket1

Has anyone played around with this app besides me?

I have a 2010 328i, and it has limited functionality (on my 2010 328i, no remote start, no toot the horn, no turn on the lights, etc)....well, if it worked correctly, it would have limited functionality. As it is now, it has no functionality.

Had to contact BMW Assist to get the login information, which wasn't a problem, but I can't even get the few functions that "apply" to my vehicle to work. Remote door open/lock doesn't work, etc. I get the message "Service not performed because vehicle not responding". Yet, it does seem to know where the vehicle is on the map.

The app steers you to a non existant FAQ section if you have questions/problems.

Its not a "deal killer" for me, but even if it eventually does begin to function, it seems a waste of time.

Other, much less expensive (and less technologically advanced) cars are miles ahead of the current rendition of My BMW Remote app.

At least, that's my opinion.

Pyewacket1

Update: spent 45 minutes on the phone with BMW Assist today... App still doesn't interact with my car (2010 328i). Deleted and reloaded the app, but no change.

The BMW Assist tech then tried to unlock my doors remotely using the Assist system, with the same results obtained as the ones I got.

It was suggested that I take my car to the dealer to have the electronics checked out. So, I have an oil change appointment scheduled in about 2 weeks and I'll have them take a look at it them.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Let us know what you find out, please!

Pyewacket1

The Final (I hope) update:

I had my 2010 328i serviced yesterday and asked the dealer to verify that the electronics in the car were working up to spects, with no codes. I explained that BMW Assist wanted them to also verify that they could remotely unlock the doors while it was at the dealership.

When I picked up the car, they also asked me to call BMW Assist and test it myself, which I did....and, yes, the doors unlocked after about 1 minute..

When I returned home, I tested the actual "app" out again on my car as it sat in the driveway.

However, there were 2 differences between today and the last time I attempted this 2 weeks ago.

1. Even though my iPhone 4 was already on a version of iOS5, I updated to the most recent verstion of iOS (5.01, I think).

2. Although the app allows you to establish whatever PIN you choose, and change it whenever you wish, I altered my app to use the same exact pin that BMW Assist has on record for my account.

All functions, although they are quite limited, work now, so I guess I have reached success.

I can't say if any of the changes I made had any impact. Even with different pins, the app always displayed the accurate information on my car.

Still, I suspect the PIN must match EXACTLY what BMW Assist has on file, and of course, your logon ID must be correct, too. I have read on the app reviews that many claim the logon/PIN info must be in upper case, but mine is a mixture of upper and lower cases, plus numbers, so I doubt that's true.

Hopefully, this iunfo will help others attempting to use this app.

I don't see much value in remote locking/unlocking doors, but I do like having the ability to send addresses directly to the car's GPS syste, and not keying them in from the iDrive console.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Kewl! Nothing that affects anything I own, of course, but I like to keep up with the technology!

Pyewacket1

I think the app would be much more useful if it offered the ability to flash the lights, toot the horn (on 2010 models these aren't available) to assist finding your car in a crowded parking lot, and of course, if you could summon up Victoria's Secret runway models, well then, that would be the "bomb"...

I would use the app much more often then...

achhianil

App works perfectly fine with My 2009 BMW 528i. Lock, unlock and google search and send to car , a very good feature.

Pyewacket1

I agree on the Google address feature. It's the best thing about the app. It just seems more could have been done with it...

Pyewacket1

The latest on this "adventure"....

I just updated my iPhone to the latest My BMW Remote app, version 2.4.2.

Now, nothing works at all. The app still appears to operate normally, yet when I request the cars location, attempt to lock/unlock the doors or send an address to the GPS via Google, I get a "command sent successfully" message, followed by a 1-2 minute wait, followed by an error message saying communication was not possible.

Oh, we'll...

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I have apps on my phone. Fortunately, my car is too old for such things. I even USE one of my phone apps. . . dive-bombing green pigs with an amazing array of angry birds...

Pyewacket1

I'm not trying to be negative here, but...The whole "My BMW Remote" app thing is looking more and more like a failure.

I'm not sure what the reason(s) are for the problems, but its certain they are real... Just check out the reviews on the Apple app store....pretty dismal ratings.

At this point, I guess I'm done with attempting to get it to work. I can log-on easy enough, and I've tried to use it in multiple locations, all with excellent cellular service as well as sat radio reception. unfortunately, no success since the "new and improved" updated version.

I'm a bit surprised that BMW would put such a product out as a general release (as compared to a beta version). It certainly hasn't done anything to improve the image of BMW being on the leading edge of technology.

App or no app, I still love my BMW's and wouldn't do anything differently as it relates to buying them, but others may have a different view on the subject.

The future in the automotive industry is electronic integration between the driver and the car. Certainly, BMW should recognize this, and it has the ability to make it happen.

I'm beginning to wonder if BMW, in fact, understands this...

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well, if you measure their progress over the past ten years, I'd say they're getting the message. Remember, their tech lab is in the middle of Silicon Valley. But I suspect there are good apps and bad.

Pyewacket1

After more research (trial and error) I have figured out when the aqpp works, and when it doesn't.... But, I can't say why it acts the way it does.

If I attempt to use the app after the car has been idle for some time, nothing works. However, if I open a door and awaken the car from "sleep mode" (identified by the orange illuminated indicator next to the auto transmission in "park" condition being "lit") and then contact the car via the app, all functions work, but only as long as the car remains in the "awakened" condition. After it enters its "sleep" mode again, the app refuses to speak to the car (or, perhaps the car refuses to speak with the app) until it is "awakened" again.

Perhaps that is what is happening to others having problems with the app.

In any case, I plan to call Assist tomorrow and give them this information. Maybe they can do something with it...

If I had to make a guess, I would say its a firmware problem within the car(s) themselves. I'll update here if/when I know more...

Pyewacket1

Just got off the phone with BMW Customer Service, where I was sent after speaking with a BMW Assist rep.

I fully explained the situation, and the Customer Service pleasantly took down all the relevant information which, I trust, will be passed onwards to someone able to remedy the situation.... at least, that's what she told me would happen...

While this particular issue may indeed be localized to my individual car (based upon the complaints I have seen on the Apple store and other forums, there are 3 categories of problems with the app.... 1. App doesn't do enough stuff, 2. Can't get logged on to use the app, and in my case....3. App doesn't function correctly), I'm in no mood to drop it off at the dealer and tell the service advisor to "have at it" without some basic idea of what might be the root cause. As I stated earlier, I bought the car before the app was available, so its functionality has little bearing upon my satisfaction with the car (which, BTW, I LOVE!).

Lastly, just to make sure I wasn't missing something, I spent 15-20 minutes today before the call reviewing the iDrive screens, looking for any clue that something isn't configured correctly. If that is the case, its so obscure that I can't see it.

I'll post again if/when I have something else to report.

03BeastCharmer

Wow. You def. put some effort in to getting it to work. I hope it works (as well as can), when I get my E92 this summer. I appreciate your updates.

Pyewacket1

I think the results of this app can best be described by the saying... "No good deed goes unpunished".
    I visit several forums, and frankly, I don't recall seeing much demand for apps to do the things My BMW Remote is programmed to do.

Instead of giving owners another useful "tool in their toolbox", it seems more like it upset some number of owners that otherwise would have been just fine without it.

I don't forsee any quick resolution, but I'd be the first to admit that I could be wrong.

We'll see.... I'll post any new developments if/when I become aware of them.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Amen! There is an interesting "key app" in the roadster: Hold down the "unlock" button, and it lowers your top while you're still outside the car. Now, this is merely to show off; it's far better to start the engine first so you don't load the battery---but I digress. Anyway, I'm always surprised at how annoyed I get when the damn thing doesn't work. . . despite the fact that I use it very, very rarely (I have better ways to show off), and if it did not exist, I would not miss it.

Pyewacket1

Here's my latest update...

About 2 weeks ago, I realized the "top down" function no longer worked on either of my 2 key fobs.All other functions (top up, open/lock doors, trunk open, etc) worked flawlessly.

I scheduled a service appt. and took the car in yesterday, and I also wanted the dealer to take a look at the "sleeping electronics" issue.

Upon arrival at the dealer, the service representative took one of the fobs and inserted it into the dashboard receptacle in order to update it with the latest vehicle info, so that he could then read the info from the fob at the write-up desk. I can't say what that process entailed, but it involved cycling the ignition "on", "off", etc...

Immediately after that process, he attempted to open the top using the fob, and it opened...

So, I decided to see if it had any effect on the "sleeping electronics" issue, where the car refused to receive communication after going into "sleep" mode. We waited over-night, and this morning I returned to the dealer (and I took my second key fob with me). We walked out to the lot where the car was parked and I called BMW Assist and requested the doors be unlocked. After the "unlock door" command was issued by BMW Assist, the driver's door opened about 30 seconds later. As far as I know, nothing was done to the car while it was at the dealership, other than moved from the sign-in station to the parking lot. It is possible some tech hooked it up to read any stored codes, but thats all. The servise advisor made it clear that no actual work was performed on the car.

Also, even though the second key fob was never inserted into the dashboard key slot, it now opens the top. Neither fob worked the day before I took the car in for examination.

I have tried the BMW Remote app several time since picking the car up today, and it has worked correctly 100% of the time, even with the car electronics in "sleep" mode.

Other than that, I can't volunteer any more information. Obviously, something changed.

Your guess is a s good as mine. I just hope it stays this way...

Satch SoSoCalifortified

It's just like Stevie Wonder said: When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer....

Pyewacket1

Frankly, I'd be happy if all my problems self-resolved like this one did. Usually, the solution involves a lot of time, and a lot more $$$$$.

So, I'm pretty satisfied at the moment.