Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tire noise

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tccox, Mar 9, 2012.

tccox

2012 128 with sport package and I love it except, It has Goodyear NCT5s which perform wonderfully. However thar are really really noisy at low speeds, below 15 mph. I get a loud whirling noise when pulling to a stop. I've eliminated brakes and trans as source of noise. Is this normal for goodyear eagles ? As I said tires perform great and run silently at speeds over 15. Any ideas ?

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Guessing that the tires are nearly new, maybe they'll mellow out with some more miles on them. Sound signature of performance tires seems louder than factory M&S tires in my experience - part of the compromise that all tires makers are trying to balance, I think.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

It certainly is variable. Toyo R888s are about the loudest tires you could mount on a car. Yokohama AVS Sports start quiet but get louder. Dunlop Sport MAXX GTs are the quietest tire I ever had on the roadster. Michelin PS2s were surprisingly loud, but the Bridgestone RE-11s are surprisingly quiet.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Today, I mounted new Michelin PS2's on the 325iT. Still getting the "twack, twack, twack" as the stickers wear off. We'll see if I am "surprised" by the noise level, once they are worn in.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Of course, in my case it's a roadster, so tire noise is a prominent issue..

MGarrison

Anyone remember what Yokohama A008's sounded like? ;)

CSBM5

Nope, only the Yoko A008R however. The A008 was for whimps, right? :p