Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Need a New Topic Header: Road Trips and Road Driving

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by eblue540, Feb 16, 2012.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

I mean where do we go to wax poetic about about the joys of traffic, road trip adventures, road trip mis-adventures, best road I ever drove, "Most amazing thing happened to me on the way to Octoberfest" stories,"you shoulda seen that..." tales, on and on, etc., ad infinitum....

These kind of things should not be "off Topic" for a bunch of BMW-nerds like us, should they?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Heh. Well, we can always slip them into other topic headers, just to freak out the purists!

MGarrison

Joys of traffic? What joy is there in traffic?! ;) _No_ traffic is a cause for joy! :D

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Stop whining, Garrison! One of the epiphanic moments I had after moving to Sandy Eggo occurred while I was caught in slow traffic on I-5. . . in my roadster. . . with the Pacific shining blue on the left, and the woman I love beside me. Hey, it was a glorious day, and great to be alive, and not even a little traffic could spoil my day!

See, I think if the traffic was say, a line up of Bimmers on say, the long pull climb the ridge on US 30 East of McConnelsburg, PA on a quiet Sunday morning, that'd be maybe some of the nicest driving I've ever experienced in the company of like minded individuals. That's a story too good to not share.

There must be others...

MGarrison

Yes - I'm picturing the joyless kind of slow-to-crawling rush-hour traffic typical of the local region here. Not as bad as many other places, certainly, (Boston, Philadelphia, NYC, etc.) but tedious nonetheless, and no ambience-adding oceans in any direction for 600+ miles! Compared to that, the amount of driving joy experienced is inversely proportional to the amount of cars on the highway. ;-D

There are a few advantages to being in the middle of no-where. The drives can be great, but the food often sucks.

Ahhh, rural american queezeen.

We play a little game when we enter a rural town:

As we first approach a new town, when we see the first place that has any of the words "Pizza" or "Beer" or "Ice" or "cream" displayed on a sign or visable, the game starts - usually as we enter the outskirts of town. So as you then proceed to drive through town, you can only breath when you are looking at those words. So before losing sight of that first sign, and having no others with those words in view, you hold your breath until sighting the next sign sporting one or more of those four words - then you breath some more. If you take a gasp of air without one of the signs in view before there is more open country in front of you, you "lose" the game.

There are a lot of places out there where you cannot "lose" at this game.

See what fun things you can invent on a long trip!!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

On one cross-country road trip, my ex and I vowed to eat only at small-town American diners---you know, the real food of the American Heartland.

Jesus, it made Ronald McDonald look like Julia Child.

Fortunately, I wound up with Party A, who would never travel twenty miles without her Urban Spoon app running. . .

But if you are really out there in the heartland, there won't be any 3G to feed the good-food data to the APP. You'd want a back up plan. Nutri-Grain bars, anyone?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Heh! I usually mix up a sack of raw almonds and cranberries, plus a two-pound bag of carrots. Plus a case of bottled water; you don't want to get a mouthful of carrot without a bottle of water handy!

Now I understand why you like that roadster. It is very adaptable to the roughage-centric lifestyle. Have you ever considered one of BMW's two-wheeled products.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I still carry a motorcycle endorsement on my license, yes. . . but I find fewer excuses to ride than to drive. As I often put it, these days my motorcycle has four wheels and a whorehouse-red interior!

04Grayracer rs racer some day

ha
    had a R1000rs 1978 new for about 1600 miles. 2blocks from my house some lady opened her drivers door while reaching for her purse in the passenger seat. Not caring about traffic or who was comming. the rest is history total destruction and a visit to the emergency room. the cylinder head and exaust pipe saved me from losing my right leg.

Remember when all Coupe de Villes came with that crushed velor whorehouse parlor interior? The massive hood, the football field long doors and the cavernous back seat that was nearly impossible to get to...... What the "H" were they drinking in Detroit?

04Grayracer rs racer some day

neighbor had a 76 with the big 500ci engine. he had it until 2yrs ago when his xtra garage where he stored it colapsed under a 22in snow storm.

drummerfc

Say....not to change the subject abruptly but are you still laid-off, or are ye gainfully employed these days?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Is that our old friend, the accountant?!

Oops... Er. Um.

Maybe your thinkin' of another dude? (I've been with my employer a while).

MGarrison

That's Autohaus, who hasn't posted a msg. to the forums since early last year; he also lived in New York.