Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Oil suggestions

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Touring525i4dawgs, Feb 15, 2012.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

Just bought an '02 E39 touring. Been useing Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my E34. Any suggestions for this car? I do like useing synthetic oil.

drummerfc

So you took the plunge, eh? Congrats..enjoy it! Pics??

Nice that you "like" using synthetic but I believe you "HAVE" to use it! :D I think Mobil 1 is good for our '39s as well but I'm almost positive my indy mechanic uses BMW synthetic "erl".

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

If the car has been on dino oil up to now, the lower viscosity of the synth might show you a few more leaks around known leak points like valve covers. Is your car an I6 or a V8?

drummerfc

It's a 6. And I just got a whole host of work done last week directly because of oil leaks - incluing at the valve covers. All gasket-related, thankfully.

I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert (ummmm, 'cause I'm not :rolleyes: !) on the innards or why synth oil has been the recommended way to go, just relaying what I've been told (and how I roll).

joemuler

BMW Synthetic = Castrol Edge. I find that sticking with what the manufacturer recommends is the best to use.