Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Okay, who's the first to try Griot's new carnauba?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Satch, Jan 10, 2012.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Which one of you fanatics got it for Christmas?
    ;)

wretched

It wasn't me :( But I would really like to hear about it! I would love this stuff over best of show! My elbow can't take it anymore!

bluewagon

Why work so hard, when Wet Paint is easier and shines much better.
    bluewagon

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I KNEW you would pipe up! But I forgot to set the timer!

I'm convinced that Wet Paint is nothing but repackaged Lemon Pledge. . . . :eek:

bluewagon

Why don't you like to try something new??? Come March it will be THREE years since my car has been washed.
    It has no swirl marks that are caused by washing.
    bluewagon
    PS next time you are in Florida I will do your car for you.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I am not old enough for Florida. Hell, I'm hardly old enough for San Diego!

bluewagon

One does not have to be old to live in Florida, or any other State for that matter.
    You know Satch I may have to end up sending you some Wet Paint. It will work on white BMWs.
    bluewagon

wretched

Sounds like this meeting should be at Oktoberfest! IF Satch says holy s#$% this stuff is the cats As* THEN blue wagon we will all believe you lol! It is hard to convince people to try a product you believe in with out them trying it huh?

bluewagon

" TRY IT YOU'LL LIKE IT"
    bluewagon

bluewagon

Attached is a photo of what Wet Paint can do. 1996/7 photo taken in 2011 Can your wax do this??? Without washing first. DSCF0020.jpeg

wretched

YES! I just wont drive mine either!

I'm just kidding Blue! If I had some of the stuff I would use it on my work car in a snap! But I don't.

bluewagon

It is easy to purchase. Wet paint glaze .com.
    My car is driven every day.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I already have some samples of some other stuff that somebody wants me to evaluate. . . which requires me to CLEAN MY CAR. Yeah, like THAT'S going to happen!

CSBM5

In a way it is. It relies on fillers to fill in swirls and scratches like other polymer based filler products do. It looks "ok" until you need to reapply; however, if you truly "correct" the paint in a professional way by removing all products on the paint and then properly (using a paint meter) correct the defects, THEN you can get to the ultimate concours type outcome that is long lasting (with a proper sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond or Optimum Opti-clear).

The best way to achieve that concours finish for guys our age Satch (well, you have a few years on me but not many) is to PAY someone with lots of experience if you have a car in desperate need of a professional paint correction. Won't help you in CA, but I can't say enough good things about Bryan Burnworth of Peachstate Detail in Atlanta (he was written up in Autoweek a while back) and what he did to my LeMans Blue M5 -- amazing.

bluewagon

It must be great to have enough money to have 5 cars, and to have some one to polish them for you.
    But as I am 83 retired I need something easy and cheap. I do my own polishing twice a year. Griots Random Orbital Polisher and his # 4 polish. You can put as many coats of Wet Paint on your car as you want.
    Do not try to guess as to what is in Wet Paint as more than likely you will be wrong.
    As of this month it has been THREE YEARS since it has been washed. The car looks better than when I Purchased it.
    bluewagon

CSBM5

I was speaking specifically about preparing a car's finish properly not necessarily to your particular desire. I would have loved to polish my M5 properly myself to prep the finish to concours standards, but I don't have the skill nor the materials to accomplish that in addition to an on-going issue with a vertebrae in my neck. Bryan paint metered the whole car and determined exactly how much correction work could be done without issues. He wet sanded numerous scratches that I never thought would come out. I don't know many DIY owners who have the skills necessary to wet sand clear coat properly, but I do know that I surely wasn't going to attempt it using my M5 as a guinea pig.

Cheers,

bluewagon

Questions
    1 How and why did you allow an M5 get so bad that it had to wet sanded?

2 Did you wash your car every week or go to a car wash?

Do you realize that it is washing your car that puts the scratches oin the paint. I bet when the car was dirty you first sprayed the heavest dirt off with a hose. You were pushing the sharp particles of dirt into your paint.
    and you do know that water and steel do not get along. and getting the car completely dry is almost impossible.

3 Do you have a garage? Try Wet Paint on one of your cars. Two towels and 30 min. of your time, and it wil not
    be hard on your back. I have a seperated rotater cuff and I can do my car. wetpaintglaze .com
    bluewagon

CSBM5

I've had the M5 for nine years now. It only has 60k miles on it and has only been in the rain less than 10 times in its life (yes have multiple car garage btw). When it isn't being autocrossed or taken to the track, it is a pure garage queen. The scratches came at the expense of taking the car out in public. Someone slid something (or themselves) across the trunk and scratched it deeply about 12-14" long for one of them. The other deep scratches were done when a wheelbarrow was placed behind my car, and I never saw it when I got in or from the driver's seat (no park distance control). I backed into it scratching the area just above the taillight. You have two choices at that point -- repaint the surfaces (which I was not going to do if possible as I want the original paint) or have a high-end detailer with a lot of experience attempt a repair which I chose to do.

The car has never been to a car wash in its life. It gets washed about 5 times per year since it is only driven about 2500 miles/year, using Griots and Zaino products, wool mitt, two bucket method and Optimum ONR in the wash water.

In any event, I'm not denying Wet Paint will work on many cars, I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of competitor products that do exactly the same thing. It is a polymer filler product in every sense similar to Rejex, Optimum Poli-Seal, etc, etc. These products work great at filling in the marks...until they come out. Note we are likely at a far different end of the spectrum on what we consider a proper detailed finish. I'm thinking Pebble Beach Concours pure deep finish with no marks to be found under direct sunlight inspection. If a polymer filler product polish/glaze/sealant could easily achieve that outcome, places like Bugatti USA would likely not have hired the detailing expert I did (they just hired him to paint correct their Veyron Super Sport: http://peachstatedetail.com/Detailing/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1993 ).

Cheers,

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Heh. I'd say we've wandered a fur piece from my original question!
    Chuck, you have WAY too many cars!
    :)

bluewagon

To Satch Isn't that the way most forums go.
    to Chuck-- Go to Wet paints web site Under Q&A read #35 about removing scratchs.
    Wet Paint does not have any polymers in it.
    bluewagon
    ps Chuck post some photos.