Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW Group expands U.S. plant in South Carolina

Discussion in 'BMW NA News' started by BMW NA News, Jan 14, 2012.

BMW NA News guest

Company to invest a further $900 million
    Around 300 new jobs for Spartanburg
    Two-millionth vehicle rolls off the assembly line
    Arndt announces X-model family expansion with BMW X4.

Spartanburg/Munich.
    The BMW Group is expanding capacity at its U.S. plant in Spartanburg. “We plan to invest over the next three years nearly $900 million in the Spartanburg plant by 2014. This will create 300 new jobs by the end of this year. This will allow us to produce 350,000 units in Spartanburg in the midterm,” says Frank-Peter Arndt, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for Production, in Spartanburg on Thursday. The BMW Group already invested $750 million in the expansion of the plant for production of the new BMW X3 between 2008 and 2010.

“This is in response to rising global demand for our BMW X models and the expansion of the BMW X family to include the BMW X4,” Arndt explained at a ceremony to celebrate production of the two-millionth vehicle at the BMW plant in South Carolina since 1994. The move will bring the BMW Group’s total investment in South Carolina to nearly $6 billion.

The Governor of the State of South Carolina, Nikki Haley, spoke at the ceremony, saying: “BMW has once again provided tremendous evidence that South Carolina is a blueprint for significant economic development success. The partnership between this company and our State is an enduring example of how to attract, retain and grow business to stimulate perpetual job creation.”

Download the entire newsletter.

Continue reading...

The rumored new plant for Brazil to feed the transitional economies (Brazil, India, Russia, etc.) will be an interesting event for the SC plant, I think it was the Roundel editor before Satch, that said the SC would be there for as long as it was it the lowest cost production facility to feed the US market.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Yale Rachlin said that?!

I think our analysis of the new expansion gives a pretty succinct view of the situation. . .

BMWCCA1

The X1 will be available in the USA this calendar year. Probably will cost as much as an X3 but wins the "ugly" contest.
    • Staff

steven s

Beats the GT in the ugly contest?

BMWCCA1

Yeah, you might even call it a GT with worse proportions! The front-end was whooped with the same ugly-stick they used on the second-generation 1-series, undershot "jaw" and all. There can't be a functional purpose in a grille opening that big.

Sorry it took so long to reply. The site won't let me log-in from the direct link in the email telling me you responded to a thread I'm watching. I kept entering the right login and password and hitting both upper and lower "login" buttons with no response. Had to go back to the home-page and start over. I really miss the old auto-login feature. This one truly sucks.
    • Staff

steven s

I don't subscribe to threads so I haven't noticed. I'll have to subscribe to some threads and see where it takes me.

I'd really like to have a 'remember me' checkbox.