Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Either need a logout warning option, or logout time needs lenghtened

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by MGarrison, Nov 19, 2011.

MGarrison

I presume Steven particularly is following this forum topic -

Although most board participants probably won't get timed out when writing replies, it looks to me like log-out time is maybe around 1-hr. If I'm trying to put together a detailed reply (particularly if having to search/google relevant info, I can vacuum up an hour in what seems like no time, and with no log-out popup warning or a popup that will allow one to remain logged in, one can get logged out _without_knowing_ it. Hit the reply button, you're thrown to the login screen, try to hit the browser back button to get back to the reply, and, at best, you go back to an empty flash reply box - written reply LOST, un-retrievable. Unless the plan is to discourage detailed replies, it's unlikely anyone's going to bother to re-write a long post that was lost (I wouldn't, out of frustration).

Either -

There needs to be a FAQ advisement of what the log-out time is, and the potential consequences of same, or...

Log-out time needs to be extended substantially, to more like 2 or 3 hours, (which would still need a FAQ advisory), or...

The board needs to be set to recognize that typing in a reply box should count as as a user being active on the board and not trigger a time-out... (I'm guessing not technically possible, or an available option), or...

There needs to be a pop-up logout warning, with either the option of something like prompting to not be logged out (ie: "You will be logged off of the BMWCCA website in 15 minutes; click "Here" to continue your session or "There" to log-off immediately"... or something like that), or a popup suggesting what to do to keep from getting logged out.

Without any of the above, that will end up as a disincentive for using the boards - might be different if anyone was being paid to try be helpful, but, since we ain't..... losing posts that take some effort when just trying to be helpful to other club members is a big frustration.

On another note - it would appear the forum software is set to make bb-code modified text a _smaller_ size than the rest of the posted text, requiring that whatever text is coded be re-sized back up to match the size of the rest of the post text. Final result in a post ends up looking a little odd when trying to emphasize something with bold or italics or color or whatever and have that attempt at emphasis de-emphasized by it automatically being formatted one size smaller than the rest of the post text.

For me at least, once logged in, it's showing my name and the "Log Out" option, but every page still is showing the Login button; once logged in, any page of the site one is on should not show the Login button, for as long as a user is logged in.

My 2¢ worth, anyway.
    • Staff

steven s

When leaving the forum to do research, do you have the forum window still open?
    I find that I can come back to the forum during the day as long as I never close the forum window.

The timeout is there to verify whether the person is a member. That is why there is no remember me?
    But I do agree, the timeout when leaving the website is short. We really only need to verify whether the person is a member on the 1st of the month.

I'll try to get an answer to what the timeout is and whether it can be increased.
    Which ones in particular?
    I don't see the log in button once logged in. I do see the Log Out in two places.
    One is in the header that is used throughout the site and the other is part of the forum.
    I could probably remove the Log Out on the forum side.
    Added: Removed log out link from navbar,

Did I skip anything?

MGarrison

I typically just open a new tab (or any number of tabs) to bring up google or other sites (am using Mozilla Firefox), and even if I start a separate browser session, it's unlikely I'll minimize the current browser session - I tend to just switch tabs or windows. Don't know if any of that might trigger a timeout or not.

Seems like the bb-coded text is downsized one size for whatever few codes I've tried so far - url, color, bold, & italic. The size code obviously doesn't apply.

You didn't skip anything!

tiFreak

I don't see any other open threads discussing the new forum and this is too minor to start a new thread for so I'll stick it here

I like how clicking "mark all forums read" makes a little box pop-up if I'm sure I want to do it. I've clicked it by accident on other forums and it's very frustrating when you have to look at all the dates and times to make sure you aren't reading something you've already read.

What I would like is a way to change the cars that are listed with my membership information, according to the club I still own my rusty old E30
    • Staff

steven s

That is something that needs to be added. The priority list is constantly changing.
    Note: Car list updated. ;)

MGarrison

I was seeing the logout in two places also, but didn't think to mention it. Whatever you changed, the Login button is now no longer visible once logged in, and I see one "Logout".

tiFreak

thanks, it was kinda bugging me just knowing it was wrong :oops:

BMWCCA1

So, why does it still take 30-seconds to log-in?

TeamStowell We love driving!

I have not had that issue with the log-in times. Once I hit submit I am usually in between 5 and 10 seconds.

BMWCCA1

Then you don't want to know how long it took me to read your reply after receiving notice via email. At least two minutes. No wonder the majority of those who would be interested in these forums have gotten bored and just don't bother.