Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

power steering hoses leaking

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by 04Grayracer, Apr 26, 2008.

04Grayracer rs racer some day

my local dealer says that i need to replace most of my powersteering hoses asap. i just replaced my valve cover gasket and it was dripping a little oil so it looks like everything under the hood was leaking. If they are bad is it much trouble to do this. I not going to give the dealer 950.00(just labor) for a simple job. Ihave access to every tool in the book

chll69 guest

I just replaced my powersteering hoses on my 98 540i, it was very simple. you shouldnt have any problem doing it. for the hose that goes down you might want to lift the car in the front so that you can get down under there and work efficiently.....$950!!! thats highway robbery!!! DIY! good luck!

04Grayracer rs racer some day

thankyou that helps

Poormech guest

The ones that normally leak are those connected to the rservoir. You can buy one hose for $23.00 and the other for $25.00 on Pelicanparts.com. Please check online for your model to verify price. They're easy to change. When finished, fill the rservoir with auto trans fluid (Mercon III).

snikwad guest

My 3 had a oil filter cover that used to leak so bad, I couldn't tell if it was the ps pump, ps hoses, steering rack, or valve cover gasket.

After tracing it to the filter cap, I would clean up everywhere and 2 days later it would look like everything was leaking. My point is, since uve replaced the gasket, clean up the engine underside with a rag and maybe a tad bit of degreaser, then tighten all the clamps for the ps hoses. Give it a day or 2 of regular driving, then go back under there and see if the hoses are really leaking. I thought that my ps return line was leaking, but since fixing the filter cap leak, it seems they are actually fine.

If you do really need ps line, call desertmotorworks at 623-455-6181 for awesome prices and service.

elfhloa

I use this site for parts information and think it's even better than realoem.com >>

http://bmwfans.info

Poormech guest

Snikwad is right. You can verify the integrity of the seal first. If you need it, the BMW part number should be 32-41-1-128-333.

buttercup guest

Have a 530i (2004) and I'm getting power steering whine. Reservoir is full. Any suggestions?

Poormech guest

I've worked/owned on all 5 series starting with the E12 to the E39. Unfortunately I know little about the E60 steering other than it has active steering which varies the steering transmission ratio electronically depending on the style and speed of driving and road conditions. At low and medium speeds, the steering becomes more direct, requiring less steering effort from the driver. At high speeds the steering becomes less direct offering improved directional stability.
    With that in mind I have just a couple of questions. You probably already checked the power steering fluid level right? I'm kind of wondering, does it make the noise when you rev the motor with the car in Park/Neutral? Does it make the whine noise when you turn one way or another sitting stationary? Does it increase in noise level when you go faster? What speed or RPM does the noise occur?

buttercup guest

2004 530i power steering squeal

Thanks for the response. I paid particular attention to the questions you asked. It seems to squeal more on right than on left turn, there is no noise upon acceleration.

Kent Bullis

Steering hose replacement

I am preparing to replace all 4 hoses on my 98 540i. They all look pretty straightforward except for the 2 which attach to the steering box. I've managed to get my fingertips on the banjo bolts, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get a wrench on them.

The Bentley Manual mentions removing the heatshield on the subframe. I found a somewhat triangular shaped heat shield held in place with 3 bolts and blocking access to the steering box, and I removed that. I think that is the heat shield they are referring to, but is there perhaps another?

Do you use a crow's foot wrench from below, or a stubby box end wrench, or a stubby ratchet with a socket, or am I going about it all wrong and there is a way to get at it from another direction?

Thanks!

buttercup guest

O.K. guys, I've taken my car in complained about the noise, and guess what, they tell me I need new brakes (rear). Rear brakes are replaced and guess what, noise is still there. I am absolutely convinced it's in the column, or a bearing that you reach from under the car. Help me out here, please. As usual the dealership does not know and are shooting in the dark. I know brakes can squeal, but this is not the same kind of noise. Thank you Thank you

Kent Bullis

steering hose replacement

I got my hoses all replaced! The 2 hoses to the steering box were the most difficult. The Bentley manual implied that you could access them from underneath the car, but it turned out that was not the case.

After removing the driver's side cabin air filter and housing, and removing the steering fluid reservoir, I crawled under the car and placed a small flashlight next to the Banjo bolts on the steering box. I then looked down from above between the inner fender and the head, and I was able to see the Banjo bolts. Using a long socket extension with a universal joint I was able to get a socket on the bolts and get them loose from above!

When the time came to put the new one on it was tricky keeping both crush washers in place while reaching down and starting the bolt. I dropped a crush washer several times before getting it right. I would recommend doing this job in a place where you can recover them if you drop them (not in the grass under a tree) If I had had someone to help I think one person could have reached up from under the car and started the bolt while the person above pushed the hose with the bolt into place and held it. It probably would have gone more easily that way.

In my searches through other web sites, it appears that a lot of people leave the metal portions of the steering hoses in place, and replace only the rubber portions. Apparently this works for people but I have some peace of mind knowing that my entire hose is replaced with the factory hydraulic crimps intact.

Kent

MFarisE39 guest

Sweet.

Man, that's some really helpful and insightful information! Thanks for sharing! :)