Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Humming & slurping sound

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by neep3r, Apr 23, 2011.

neep3r guest

On my 1986 325es I have had a humming & slurping sound coming from my fuel pump area. I thought it was my fuel pump and had it replaced with a brand new Bosch fuel pump but the noise is still there. What else could cause this noise? Also there are times where the noise becomes more high pitch, which I think only happens when the tank is low but I don't know if that is a separate problem or not.

John in VA

MGarrison

Does the 'es have the in-tank pre-pump in addition to the outboard fuel pump? Which did you replace?

cwbiii guest

Fuel pressure regulator?

Is there a fuel pressure regulator? Maybe this is on the fritz.
    Otherwise I might suspect the AC compressor/ expansion canister for those general types of sounds.

Chuck

John in VA

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

cwbiii guest

Sorry I mis-read..

I thought the original poster was talking about under the hood... but when I re-read it was "around the fuel pump area"... so my suggestions were all wrong.
    When the one on my seven was going it made a lot of noise, mostly whirring/humming. When I replaced it shortly afterward a bug crawled up into the vent and sealed it off. This caused the tank to crush itself as it emptied, though I didn't notice until it started leaking. It was about 4-5 gal smaller by that point. In that tank because it was a "saddle" tank it had a siphon tube to move fuel from the drivers side to the passenger side. This siphon was powered by the bypass fuel from the fuel pressure regulator. Interesting piece of engineering.

Chuck