Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Yes or No??

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by SJAE30PLZ, Apr 17, 2011.

SJAE30PLZ guest

• Staff

steven s

Probably want to get a Prepurchase Inspection before you drive it back home.

SJAE30PLZ guest

Yep- I was going to do that, I really wish the seller had posted engine pics.
    It looks to be in pristine condition from the pictures- I hope it is in person!
    • Staff

steven s

Can't go by that.
    I looked at an E30 ix once. Interior and exterior gorgeous.
    Took it for a test drive.
    Electrical tape over the CEL light.
    Ran hot in normal driving.
    My tech put it up on the lift. Leaking more fluid from the transfer case than the Exxon Valdez.
    Evidently this guy took more care making it look good than under than underneath.
    Paint chips, torn seat. Sagging headliner. My wife says I don't take care of the car.
    My car has +242,000 miles. 3 or 4 DEs a year.
    Maintenance is never spared. Wax? What's that?
    Motor and drivetrain still running like a top.
    Sure it leaks a little oil. It has +241,000 miles!

Zeichen311

I hope so too but, speaking from experience: A few tiny photos posted on the web can make even a worn-down, run-don't-walk-away complete beater look "pristine."

Look it over very, very carefully and try--I know it will be hard--to leave emotion out of it. A 20-year-old-car is going to have issues, lots of issues, unless it has been well-loved. Don't tell yourself, "oh, that's nothing" to anything that catches your eye. Point by point, ask yourself whether you must fix it, whether you can afford to fix it and whether you're willing to live with it if the answer to both of those is "no." A PPI will help you with that list, if it looks OK at first blush.

Be a heartless nitpicking skinflint (or at least act like one) and good luck! :)

granthr

Looks like a possibility, check it out. It is no longer has the original sport spoiler on the front, but that is not a big deal. Get it checked out and let us know!

Steven all e30 transfer cases leak like the Valdez, even new from BMW. BMW knew these cars would be driven in salt, so it helps prevent rust on the underside of the chassis. :D:D
    • Staff

steven s

So it was a feature. :)

granthr

Yes that is why the car had that nice oily sheen to it. :D
    • Staff

steven s

MGarrison

Nice car, although it seems mom has put the kaibosh on the idea of the young'n driving a vehicle nearly 10 years older than said young'n.... unless she changed her mind.... Sarah! Get your mom to go test drive the E30, just for the heck of it! :D
    • Staff

steven s

I figured the car is local and I know the shop that serviced it.

MGarrison

An E30 like that deserves a loving home :p