Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E30 318i engine & EFI swap into1969 1600-2

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by dwaring1, Apr 16, 2011.

dwaring1 guest

Im working with a 1969 1602 that currently has webber 32/36 and Crane electronic ignition; otherwise all original. I came across a 1985 318i engine missing the dist., alt, and flywheel.
    I'm hoping I can use these parts from my original engine since both are m10's.

I would like to upgrade to the EFI at same time but need instruction to do so.

What parts will I need to convert 318i EFI to my vehicle; and how is it wired?

I am sure this is a very common swap, but I cant find the info.
    I hope to have a much more modern and reliable car with possibly improved performance but retain the original character and handling of my vehicle.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. :)

granthr

Same motor and yet not at all. They are 16 years apart in age and a lot happened to the motor in that time. I am not sure, but I am guessing you will need to source the missing parts from another E30 M10 or buy them new. I don't think you can take them from your car.

Only once have I seen a 2002 with an M10 in it from an e30. The M10 from the 318i is actually down on power compared to most US M10s, now since your car is a 1600, it probably has a little more power. The 318i M10 is rated at 101hp and 103 ft lbs of torque.

John in VA

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

The 318i M10 injection is pretty much the last injection I'd swap into any car. It is not a common swap because it doesn't really get you any advantage over a well setup carb.

dwaring1 guest

Thanks to everyone for their responses.
    John in Va, the link you provided is very helpful; I'm sure to get lots of assistance from it.

Just for clarification, the reason for this swap isn't for more huge power increase I was happy with the sportiness of the car as it was; a car thats fun to drive and tossable in the curves while returning excellent fuel economy. Unfortunately, I am in need of a new head and I already had a 5speed w/driveshaft and full conversion kit waiting for installation.
    I was surpised by the high cost of cylinder heads (usually cost as much as used engines) when an opportunity arrived 318i engine w/low mileage for $100.00 parts would be readily available over the counter and even though not a high powered engine, my engine is only rated at 85hp so big improvement there as well.

I find it interesting that most people I ask about the fuel injection of 318i there are negative remarks and universal recommendation against its usage. Yet, in the BMW Enthusiast's Companion (pg.98) there is an article suggesting its use as the preferred set-up due to its simple set-up, reliability, and availibilty. (article was by Pete McHenry a regular Gateway Tech Speaker). Things that make you go hhhmm......

mooseheadm5

That article was probably written a long time ago. There are no options for chipping the ECU, the injection system is finicky, and the system is just not as good as a properly set up standalone EFI system.

MGarrison

Not probably; definitely - that article was written ages ago. I can't remember when the Enthusiast Companion came out (that's an indication in itself), but I'd venture to guess... 15 years ago, at least.

For an engine swap with fuel injection, wouldn't an M42 be a better way to go? (That suggestion offered with the caveat that I don't know if retrofitting an M42 is a nightmare or not; I've seen 2002's with E30 M3 engines, however - entirely possible that it wouldn't work with the conversion parts you have already, too.)

mooseheadm5

It would not be too difficult to swap in an M42 with its injection, though the M44 EFI is a little more advanced. It would even be possible to add M42 or M44 EFI to an M10, but a tad more difficult than tossing on that antiquated L-jet junk. Megasquirt has been done and is much cheaper than getting custom ships and such made for the car. I saw an E21 at Vintage that had ITBs and megasquirt. It was mightily cool.