Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Drove some Newer Models...

Discussion in 'R56 Cooper, Cooper S (2006-2013)' started by Dr Obnxs, Apr 25, 2008.

Dr Obnxs guest

I've been a Mini owner since 02. I just spent some time (street and track) in a bunch of R56s (and a couple of clubmans....)

R56S. Needs a bigger turbo for track, pretty nice on the street. The bias twards lower RPM torque over peak HP is nice for street drving, but on the track it runs out of lungs long before red-line. The suspension is a bit softer than my 02, but every bit as competent. This is a matter of personal preference. Like most, I'm not a big fan of the new dash. Don't like the dinner plate sized speedo, and the center stack layout is a bit confused.

R56 non S. Car works fine, the comments about the dash go for all the new models, as they are common across the full line.

R55S (Clubman). Goes pretty good, but the (only three inch) longer wheelbase is noticable in AutoX like driving environmnets. Still needs a bigger turbo....

R55 non S Clubman Automatic. IS surprisingly spunky, but a bit buzzy if you really rev it out. Seems to be surprisingly quick in street environmnets. I must say I was surprised. I thought it would probably be a dog. I was wrong.

Matt

jcsinnett guest

In the market for a Mini - interested in learning of differences between model years

Dr Obnxs guest

Lots been going on....

The biggest switch was with the new interior in the 07+ coupes (came in later in the convertable) that's also in the clubman and the change from the Tritec to the Prince engine. (Supercharger to turbo in the S). The newer cars perform better because of the engine, but lost some of the edginess because of changes in the suspension, so a lot depends on what you want from the experience. If you want the more room of the Clubman or the new Countryman, your choices are much more limited. If you like the older (1st generation) ones, going with an 05-06 is the way to go.

You can read a bunch about them at www.motoringfile.com, www.motoringalliance.com, and www.northamericanmotoring.com.

Matt