Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rubber seal around canvas

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by vinaysp, Apr 13, 2011.

vinaysp guest

I noticed that the rubber seal around the top is starting to pop out. I just took delivery of my vehicle after some work was done on it, including some repair to the top that was damaged by the dealer, but I don't know if the seal issue was caused by the dealer.

My question is, does the CPO cover issues with the rubber seals coming loose? I am quite sure that if this isn't fixed then water / dirt / etc. will enter this area. I hope the picture helps.

thanks,

shipkiller

Water and dirt will enter past that seal no matter what.

I don't think that the CPO will cover the softtop. That is what I have heard, but I am not sure.

That seal is just held in place by double sticky tape. They can and do come loose.

M3Driver guest

A friend of mine had a similar problem with his Z4. His entire top was replaced under warranty but he had to really get tough with the dealer and BMW NA.

vinaysp guest

I don't really think this is a problem with the softtop, this seems like a simpler problem with only the rubber seal.

shipkiller

Correct.

When I removed my softtop to repair the faulty hydraulic motor, those rubber seals are held in place with double sided tape.

Just so you understand, the softtop motor is just beneath that area (on the left side) and those seals are not designed to keep water out. This is one of the reasons you must clean your drain holes periodically.

vinaysp guest

What are drain holes and where would I find them?

shipkiller