Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New addition (performance exhaust)

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by Robotrenegade, Apr 12, 2011.

Robotrenegade guest

I just had it installed today. I LOVE IT! This exhaust should be standard. I'll post videos tomorrow.

This was done at Century BMW.

wanesso

Is there a sound difference in 'M' mode vs non-M ?

Robotrenegade guest

Yes there is a difference between the two. But this exhaust comes from the new M3 GTS

tsharma

Can you post some sound clips?

Robotrenegade guest

My exhaust is being powder coated this week. I'll post a clip asap

Performance Exhaust in an M3

I am considering adding OEM Performance Exhaust in the M3 couple manual gear box I am ordering. Does anyone have experience with this system in an M3? Especially:
    1. interior noise level at various speeds in daily driving, not tracking
    2. life span vs. the standard muffler/exhaust; does the cost over $4000 get somewhat covered by a longer life than the standard system?
    3. Pros and Cons on the Performance Exhaust in a M3 coupe

Robotrenegade guest

Robotrenegade guest

1: Below 4,200rpms sounds about stock but with a deeper sound. (No drone) Any gear above 4,200 sounds amazing with no drone. No video does it justice. I think its the best exhaust out there.

2: I don't know the life span. You do get extra 2 years coverage on the exhaust itself.

3: NO Cons I can think of

Check out this link: Sounds of both exhausts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9srS_sA8yU&feature=player_embedded

Syrupflow guest

Robotrenegade guest

Like I said, a video doesn't do it justice. You have to hear it in person.

Hi Evan: I am considering purchase of a 2011 335is, which has the N54 engine. Since you have this model and engine, would you recommend buying this year's model, or waiting for 2012 when Satch indicates that the 335i model will have to have the N55 engine due to emissions standards in the US? thanks, Bob

Syrupflow guest

I haven't had any major issues with the N54 since I purchased the car 6 months ago(knock on wood). From what I have heard, there is a greater amount of turbo lag on the new twin scroll single turbo with the N55 engine. I can confirm this on my wifes 2011 X5. Also, I am told the HPFP issue remains on the N55 engine so I would be less inclined to wait if this is your only reason to do so. I have always preferred instant gratification and considering how happy I am with this car, I would have to say you're doing the right thing by ordering now. Are you getting the coupe?

Syrupflow guest

I love the interior. It was between that and the oyster shell for me. Great car. Hope you get it soon. Congratulations.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

2012 335is?

Plus we have no guarantee that they'll continue the 335is past the 2011 model year; note that the 1 Series M coupe expires this year; why would they continue the 335is if it is adversely affected by emissions requirements?

Mind you, I don't think it's going to take Dinan another eighteen months to tinker with the software for the N55 versus the N54. So if they continue with the suspension and diffy tweaks that characterize the US-only 335is, it doesn't much matter which engine they use.

However, I, too, am on the side of instant gratification!

Syrupflow guest

Agreed. I don't see them making a 2012 version for sure, but that engine is in the top Z roadster also.

03BeastCharmer

Now that you have had the performance exhaust on the M3 for a few months, any additional feedback about the exhaust?

I did not purchase the M3, and decided to buy the 335is coupe, six speed manual. Fantastic Euro Delivery, autobahn, and Nurnburgring experience.
    Bob B
    Austin, Texas
    1982: 318i (Euro Spec, manual, Sold)
    1985: 325e (original owner, manual, DD)
    2001: 330ci, (manual, Sold)
    2009: 328i Coupe (sold)
    2011: 335is manual (8/12/11 Euro Delivery; 9/26/11 Performance Delivery Center)