Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

318ti DRIVETRAIN VIBRATION

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by sonare, Apr 8, 2011.

sonare

Tried searching this problem but the different attempts to name the problem thwarted that--

My daughter's 97 E36 318ti hatchback has a vibration under acceleration that feels and sounds EXACTLY like my 2002 would when the flexdisc (guibo) was chunking away. This happens at 3500rpm in 2nd and 3000 in 3rd.

I crawled underneath to take a look but the flexdisc looks fine and I have no idea how to evaluate the harmonic balancer on the driveshaft.

Any theories?

Rich
    • Staff

steven s

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

How's the center support bearing?

sonare

Didn't check that-- but thanks for the reminder. Can you steer me to a link that describes inspection and installation? Never done one before--

Rich

John in VA

sonare

At the risk of sounding like a noob-- checking the rubber is easy-- but seeing if the bearing is bad means getting the rear wheels off the floor and rotating the driveshaft-- right?
    • Staff

steven s

Not really as easy as that since the car will not be under load.

My bearing sounded fine on the lift with the driveshaft turning but noisy when driving in reverse.

sonare

Now to decide whether this is a 96mm or 110mm diameter guibo-- dont' really want to order both and send one back. Is one for auto?

Rich
    • Staff

steven s

You might consider doing both at the same time.
    I think it requires the same amount of labor.
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

CRKrieger

No; not exactly. You can replace the guibo undoing only the two mounting bolts for the CSB. To replace the CSB, you usually have to drop the entire driveshaft, including the guibo. Since the guibo shows no obvious signs of failure, it's more likely the CSB.

Bottom line is, if you're doing the CSB, you may as well replace the guibo at the same time. OTOH, if you're replacing the guibo, you don't necessarily want to mess with the CSB.