Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

dash light of ASC+T

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by lodes17, Apr 3, 2011.

lodes17

My 96 318ic is equiped with Automatic Stability Control + traction. My understanding is that it stays on unless the car feels wet slipery pavement or you push the button to use the car in a fast U turn perhaps where you want to slide. (imagine my 318 in a slide, not lately). The light is susposed to come on when you start the car and go out. Now the problem, it does that but will come on while driving and now the car is sluggish and the gear shifting feels a bit gerky too.

I find in Bentleys Manual:
    there is a AST/ASC+T control module behind the glove box.
    In the electrical wiring diagrams: I see a mention of ABS/AST on page ELE-119.
    Also, a few days before this problem, I did the rear brakes. Did I miss something?

So is the ABS connected to the ASC system? Anyone had this problem?

Mike
    • Staff

steven s

I believe they share the same ABS sensors.
    The jerkiness seems unrelated unless the ASC-T is applying brakes.

lodes17

Asc+t

Reading and learning.............I 'll get a shop to read the codes and start from there. Hoping its just a speed sensor.

Mike
    • Staff

steven s

Could be something as simple as dirt.

lodes17

Asc+t

Recalling after the brake job everything was normal for two days and then it rained
    for a day and a half here in Tampa, (8" or so), it was the nest day where the ASC light came on.
    Two days of ASC problems and today another sunny beautiful day and the problem is gone.
    So, perhaps a speed sensor got wet and has finally dried out? I hate to go to a shop untill the trouble surfaces again. Will there be stored codes?

Mike
    • Staff

steven s

Sounds to me that you fixed it.
    Time for a beer. ;)