Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Has anyone attempted to put a MODERN engine into a really old BMW

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bcweir, Mar 19, 2011.

CRKrieger

These two engines are wider, but not significantly longer, than the engines that originally came in the E30. We both know the V12 is essentially a pair of M20s siamesed into one block - so it's about a half a cylinder longer than an eta. It's only wider on the left, where BMW had gotten into the habit of throwing stuff like brake boosters and power steering pumps. Those things can get relocated just as they did when the V12 went into the E38 in place of the M30. I would guess (not knowing for sure, but open to correction) that the V10 is even shorter than the M20.
    Since you're asking ... no. It's only that, like the '55 Chevy, BMW made a (relative) boatload of 'em and they're cheap to buy. It's clear from your last message that you're intrigued by the idea of a Ford V8 in an E38. I would not begrudge you doing that. I think it'd be a great idea.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Having what is essentially a plug and play setup is very attractive. Nobody ever said BMW engines offered bang for your buck (not any more, anyway.) The Ford setup seems perfect for swaps and kit cars.

bcweir

You're incorrect on one little fact...

The M30 was replaced by the M60 for the American market initially appearing for the E32, not the E38. No E38 produced for North America was originally equipped with an M30, but by this time had been replaced by the M60/M62 V8. The M70 V12 continued in the E32 until it was replaced by the E38. When the E38 appeared, the E38 featured an upgraded version of the M70 called the M73, and was 5.4L instead of 5.0L.

Actually I am more interested in doing this with the E32. Personal preference.

CRKrieger

Oops on both points. I MEANT E32. My bad. :eek:

bcweir

No problem!

I liked the M30 -- a shame they couldn't have given it a few more mechanical updates, or at least replaced it with a DOHC "big six."

I do like the looks of the E32 better -- and it has a BIGGER trunk than the E38!