Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Skip Barber Racing School

Discussion in 'Driving Schools' started by TJDiCandido, Mar 18, 2011.

TJDiCandido guest

I'm interested in doing a 3-Day Formula Racing School and getting an SCCA license. I noticed last December that Skip Barber Racing School offered a 30% "Early Discount" off the cost of their 2011 programs and I probably should have jumped at that offer when I had the chance. I heard that Skip Barber employees occasionally give out 50% off coupons to family/friends/etc. Does BMWCCA ever get these kinds of promotional discounts?

CRKrieger

Given that BMW CCA schools cost about one-third (or less) what a Barber school does, I don't see why any chapter would bother discounting it. BMW CCA is not a profit-making enterprise, nor are any of the chapters. When we plan events, we do it for the membership and we calculate the costs accordingly. In some cases, we aim just to break even or take a loss in order to put on certain events. At least I know that the chapters of which I've been a member (Buckeye, Northern Ohio, Badger) have operated this way. As an SCCA member, I can tell you that SCCA often does the same. You need to shop around the schools that SCCA will recognize (there's a list available) and decide based on what's going to work for you, but don't expect 'discounts' except from professional for-profit schools. Personally, Barber is about the last place I'd look. Not because they're not as good as anyone else (they are) but because they cost more than almost anyone else.

OTOH, occasionally, if you're at the right place at the right time, BMW chapters give away driver schools as prizes ...

MGarrison

All valid points CR, but I think he was asking if he could get a discount for the Barber event he wants to do, through the club, or club connections.

DiCandido - as far as I know, the club doesn't have any agreements with the Barber organization to offer discounts to 'CCA club members for Barber-run programs; you might want to doublecheck w/ the club's national office.
    • Staff

steven s

I think he was asking if being a BMW CCA member, have Skip Barber offered discounts to club.

Edit: Ooops. I took a little too long to post. MGarrison beat me.

TJDiCandido guest

Thanks for the prompt responses. I live less than 30 miles from Lime Rock, which is why Skip Barber racing School is most convenient for me. I also did two schools at Hawaii International Racing School a few years ago when I lived on Oahu.

CRKrieger

Yabbut - that was a helluvan explanation, wasn't it? :D

MGarrison

Yeah! Almost makes you sound like a lawyer or sumtin'! :p

westech

Skippy....20% off

This weekend, while at Amelia Island Concours, we signed up & paid for a Teen Driving School for our grandson. Skip Barber gave us 20% off the cost of the school if we paid in full. It's my understanding that this offer is still good. Contact Bruce MacInnis at Skip Barber and check. Since you live near Lime Rock Park I'd check the Skippy schedule, see when they're having a school there & drive over to check it out. I don't know if Mike Rand is still running Lime Rock Park but you might give him a call.
    Hope this helps...good luck, you will enjoy the 3 Day School.

ZeroG guest

I attended their MX5 school at Laguna Seca a few years back, and have to say that their instructions is second to none. It is a great experience for novices, and amateurs alike. Something to keep in mind is that you will also need to attend one of their Advanced Schools and Lapping days if you wanna race in their series.

If you're interested is just getting an SCCA regional license, they go over starts and restarts on the last day for licensing certification and believe they charge an extra fee and they'll give you a letterhead indicating that you completed their school and have met the requirements for an SCCA regional license.