Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

The new PS Super Sport tire

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by wanesso, Mar 12, 2011.

wanesso

Called tire rack today to have them say that they don't have the size in these latest greatest tires for an '08 E92 M3 rear tires! How could they not make that size? They were tested on M3's according to the latest Roundel---does anyone know what the deal is, has anyone tried these 'highly acclaimed' tires?
    I was ready to go for the tires that several of you have recommended (more durable than PS2) but these sound really good......:confused:

CSBM5

They have the 18" sizes for your car and the front 19" size. In the rear you could probably get away with using the 275/35 instead of the 265/35.

wanesso

OK--good to know. What do you think of the tire?

CSBM5

It looks great to me. I'll probably put them on the M5 (275/35-18 all around on 9.5" wheels).

345861 guest

Same story for the 335is with 19s! I have a lot of history with PS2s and was looking forward to changing out the Bridgestone RFTs.

OEM sizes on the 335 are 225/35 on 8" fronts and 255/30 on 9" rears. They make SS in a 225/35 but no 255/30 for the rear! Closest I can get is 265/30 which might be too wide for a 9" rim. :confused: :(

CSBM5

Stick with the PS2 ZP in my opinion. I've been through two sets of RE050A and then two sets of PS2s (on second set now on E90). The PS2 is significantly more impressive in many aspects (ride harshness, very little weight needed/very low roadforce numbers, turn-in feel, ultimate grip).

345861 guest

They don't even make PS2s in the 19" OEM sizes. Back to Toyo I guess.

345861 guest

I guess there's always hope...

March 14, 2011

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

When we roll out a new tread design, we have limited sizes initially. Please check back with us in a few months for availability.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

Sincerely,

Consumer Care Department
    Certified Michelin Product Expert

Satch SoSoCalifortified

The new Michelinos

I agree with everything in the Roundel story.

Hey, wait a minute. . . ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

wanesso

next question for you tire guys

The PS2's are worn, again, of course, on the rear. The fronts are good. Can I leave the front PS2's on and put the big SuperSport tires on the back or is mixing not allowed?

345861 guest

I'm sure everyone would advise you not to mix & match.

wanesso

I figured as much...

SBrasesco

I run 275/35/18 on the rear no issues at all.....the OEM sizes for the E92 don;t leave you much choices in tires unfortunately....I chose Yoko ADVANS...good overall tire for me.

SBrasesco

BEST set-up for the E39 IMHO used to have that w/OEM rears on all four corners....what a great car...damn I miss it!!...LOL
    at the time I ran the Goodyear tires that they saw fit to discontinue..grrrhhh.

CSBM5

Yep, I did the 9.5/275 all around as the first mod on my M5 about 7 years back, and I've never looked back. The thought of the skinnys up front is horrid. I'm using Dunlop Star Specs right now -- great stick but are harsh and a bit loud.

tiFreak

if the fronts are still good I'd just keep them, they're both high performance summer tires with a similar tread pattern so the difference in grip will probably be pretty negligible

wanesso

You mean keep the thread-bare rears or just replace the rears?

tiFreak

I mean replace the rears and keep the fronts until they're done too, no point in replacing perfectly fine tires IMO

wanesso

yes :cool:

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Mix and match

Bruddah Saylor say:

Oh, you can do whatever you want---as long as you are prepared for the results! I think if you mount new Super Sports on the rear and have ONLY SLIGHTLY WORN PS2s up front, you should be fine. . . "should" being a dangerous word. The PS2s will not handle rain as well---especially if they're more than 40% worn.

That said, I once ran an autocross with Dunlop Direzza gummies up front and well-worn SP Sport MAXXs on the back. HOO-boy, what a ride! Great fun, and mostly sideways---but that's what I expected. And it served me right for being too lazy to change all four when I found a nail in one of the Direzzas I pulled off the back. . .