Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wind deflector?

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by vinaysp, Mar 7, 2011.

vinaysp guest

I am thinking of installing a wind reflector in my '07 Z4 3.0i as I have heard a lot of good things about it - specifically that my wife will no longer need to wear a scarf when we have the top down :)

Are there any alternatives to the BMW Wind screen from third-party manufacturers? The BMW deflector is pricey, but I will still consider it if the alternatives can't stand up to it's quality (including looks).

thanks!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Deflect or not?

I had a BMW "screen" deflector but took it back---at a quick glance, I couldn't see through it very well (sort of like trying to look through a screen door; your eye tends to focus on the screen).

Since visibility is the key safety factor for me, I had to ditch the screen.

shipkiller

Roadster Solutions......
    http://www.roadstersolutions.com/

It's what we have on our Roadster.

Deutsch Marques

I bought the BMW wind deflector for my M3 'vert and it makes a world of difference! Anything under 60 is quiet and comfortable, and my wife and I can have a conversation while driving. Anything over 60 is possible, where before it was a nuisance: Forget about talking, and it was somewhat uncomfortable with the buffeting.

I don't understand how the damn thing can cost so much. Sure, it's a clever little bit of engineering, but certainly doesn't cost that much to make! My wife found ours on Craigslist. It was in near-new condition with a bag for less than half the new price. The stealership parts department isn't the only option.

Pyewacket1

My wife's experience in her MINI convertible (she was given one by the dealership as a "peace offering" - but that's another story.... when she purchased the car) sold me on the wind-screen idea. So, when I got my 328i convertible I bought one for it as well, and I have never regretted it.

Pricy? Damn right. Almost like they have someone hand-carving them. But, they do make a huge difference.

For me or my wife, the "screen door" visual effect hasn't been a problem, but I can readily see how it might be for others.

One tip, if you get one.... Clean it periodically (if you ride with the top down a lot) with a soft sponge and warm water. You would be surprised how dirty the mesh can get...

vinaysp guest

Thank you for your response. Could you please explain what you mean when you say you couldn't see through it. I am assuming that vision in front of the car isn't impacted, so you must be referring to the view through the rear view mirror?

Deutsch Marques

I'm sure that's what Satch meant. With the deflector up, your view back from the rear-view mirror looks like you are looking through a window screen. Though it's a little more opaque than a regular window screen. Unless you're driving from the back seat of your roadster (!?!?) then you won't have an issue with visibility in any other way.

BimmerBrad

Have you noticed any vibration or rattles from the wind deflector?

shipkiller

Nope. Very solid.... even at 120mph....:D

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Looking through the screen

Um. . . nope. I like the roadster because around these parts, you get blitzed on both sides if you're only doing 80. The roadster provides great visibility for lane changes, which must be made in acceleration mode; and looking over my shoulder to the right invariably had me focusing first on the screen before adjusting my focus to look through it. At the speeds we drive around here, it wasn't an option for me. :eek:

STIHLBOLTS guest

I have the black leather mesh screen and don't have any issues seeing through it.

Best regards

David A Wetsel guest

Windam

I purchased the Windam from the Roadstersolution like shipkiller said and it works great. Less wind and noise. It goes together fairly easy just need to put some thought behind it. Good luck you'll love it.

BimmerBrad

So that was you I passed on I64... ; )

shipkiller

Too funny....
    :D:D:D

I have not driven the Roadster since Nov. but I am getting ready to take it out of it's winter slumber. My wife is itching to get back in it...

I drive the ///M every day....