Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 Battery Chargers

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by 109941, Feb 19, 2011.

Hello,

This winter I've been driving my e34, so the 2003 330i has been sitting in the garage. The 330i starts fine, but the battery indicator remains on and I assume the amperage is low. When my e34 sits for long periods, I attach a Battery Tender trickle charger using alligator clips to the battery terminals and forget about it. I assume that's possible with the 330i, but I'm wondering if there's a simpler connection point than the battery terminals on this trunk mounted battery?

Thanks

Zeichen311

Indeed there is: Use the jump-start terminals in the engine bay. See this post for details. I was responding to an M Roadster owner but the E46 is the same.

Deutsch Marques

Yup, I plug my Battery Tender into the under-hood terminal on my E46 M3 for winter storage. Works great. I can usually feed the cable up by the windshield edge of the hood so the hood will close even while connected.

M3Driver guest

My BMW OEM Battery Tender actually has a plug that goes into the cigarette lighter. It (the car) never "powers down" the outlet like I think some of newer cars do after a period of time.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

If your battery light stays on, check your charging voltage.