Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

335 vs 135

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by guillermo, Apr 23, 2008.

guillermo guest

330indy1

I do.....

"If BMW had made the 135i as a lightweight, no-frills, Bahn-burning turbo rocket ship, they would have created a truly unique, desirable automobile. But they didn't."

MatthewDFW guest

First off (and a bit of a caveat/disclaimer), I really like my new 135i very much. This may or may not disqualify me from being objective - if it does, I'll take my lumps.

That said, there are some elements of truth in the points made by the reviewer. But, I don't agree with his conclusions that BMW somehow missed the mark with the 135i.

I concede that the 3-series is going to have more in the way of fit & finish creature comforts to go along with a bit more interior room. The fact that the 1-series is not as plush should not be seen as a great negative, since I doubt that was BMWs intention. In any event, their shared powerplant - BMWs "Sublime Inline" six - provides a singular similarity that far outweighs their differences.

I don't think anyone interested in buying a 1-series coupe - especially a 135i - is motivated by comfort (although, admittedly, that depends on what you drove before the 1). The fact that the car is such a terrific, bloody HOOT to drive ought to count for something, especially in light of the fact that so many outstanding sports sedans and coupes have become so "civilized" over the years that they've lost their capacity for rough and tumble "fun".

The 135 strikes me as a devil-may-care throwback to the time when it wasn't considered a crime to actually get a little giddy behind the wheel. It is a car capable of sparking wild enthusiasm - on or off the track.

I would refer doubters not to Mike Solowiow's Truth About Cars review, but rather to Jeremy Clarkson's oft-quoted praise of the 135, which requires neither commentary nor embellishment...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article3103294.ece

P.S. The last paragraph in the Clarkson review should be framed and put up on every 135i owner's garage wall.

az3579

That last paragraph means a lot coming from Jeremy Clarkson. The only thing he likes about modern BMWs is the way they drive, nothing else. He hates the styling, he hates the price, and he hates the snob factor (in Britain, it's the snob factor). But to see him say something so positive is just mind numbing to me!

MatthewDFW guest

I agree. Quite a few people familiar with Clarkson were so astonished to hear what he said that their first assumption was that he was somehow being sarcastic or facetious; only after reading the entire review is it clear that his praise is sincere.

az3579

He didn't really have anything nice to say about the 130i M-sport (5-door) when he did his review of it in Episode 6 of Season 7. The only good thing he said about it was the fact that it was great fun (RWD + all that power in a hatchback), but otherwise, everything else was just pointless.

This is why I find his verdict on the 135i so surprising.

Bimmerdan

It's amazing how many people have asked "Why didn't you just get the 335?", like I was "settling" for a 135 instead. I probably could have gotten a 335 for less than I paid for the 135 but I didn't want a 335! People talk about how the 3-series has gotten too big and heavy and they should shave some weight off and make it a little smaller...well they did and they called it a 1 series.

Having driven both the 335 and the 135 for fairly extended periods, I can honestly say the 135 was a much more enjoyable experience. If my priority was for a fast, comfortable, cross-country cruiser, I probably would have opted for the 335 but I wanted something a little more nimble and tossable (that's still a fast, comfortable cruiser).

I don't get this statement: "If BMW had made the 135i as a lightweight, no-frills, Bahn-burning turbo rocket ship, they would have created a truly unique, desirable automobile. But they didn't."

The 135 is the smallest, lightest, fastest non-M car that BMW makes (and in fact it competes head to head with several cars that DO wear an M badge), what more do people expect? If they made it any lighter and faster, they would almost have to put an M badge on it!?

I guess I've never been the type to follow the masses though (I still love my 318ti that people are always busting on and my 2002 still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it). The fewer people that like the 135, all the better because it makes it a little more unique. And if Jeremy Clarkson calls the 135 the best car BMW makes, who am I to argue?

330indy1

yeah well, Jeremy got this wrong....

(and so did the all-knowing Pulitzer winning Dan Neil :rolleyes:)

"But it's the engine that impresses most of all. It has one small turbo to spin up the instant you apply the power, and then a bigger one that trundles into life later to keep the power coming . . . in bigger and bigger lumps. This, and there's no other way of saying it, is a great engine. A masterpiece. It doesn't zing like the BMW straight-sixes of old but there's so much muscle you don't notice. "

For him to cast so much critique, and then say it's the best BMW made.....

right.

MatthewDFW guest

+1 Well said.

If everybody liked the same car, the world would only have one car.

Qunadry

As a former owner of a 335i and a one month owner of a 135i I can say that the 135i is what I want in a BMW. I had owned a 2000 323Ci which I regret having traded in on an Audi TT. The 323 was an outstanding automobile. After a Volvo S 60 R (a very interesting automobile, but too big for me) I was thrilled when the E92 335i came on the market. Do not get me wrong, the 335i is a fine automobile, but it did not please me like the 323. It was too big (more like a 5 series in 2000) and it did not have the classic BMW style. I was asked more than once how I liked my Pontiac and after Honda redesigned the Accord Coupe, how I liked my Honda. In fact once my wife asked me if an Accord coupe was a new BMW. I really thought the 335i was my last BMW.

Then the 135i was introduced. The more I saw it, the more it I liked it. Finally in March I went to my dealer and drove one. My factory order was placed that day. I feel that the 135i combines the best of my former 323 with the best of the 335i. Again, this is my opinion, but are we not lucky the automibles like the 135i and the 335i exsist for us to argue about.

MGarrison

The only problem with that is if too few people like the car, BMW will stop bringing it here, or making it altogether. That said - if you like something and can afford it, buy it when it's available, you never know when you won't be able to, which might be sooner than you think, or want.

Smollett guest

I just bought a 135i and I really love it....considering I've never owned a BMW and my last car with a Camaro Z28. I bought the options that I would use on a daily basis and kept the price just a hair under $40k. Nav, rear sonar, etc.

I think people will always argue about the 335 to 135's. In the end, with a same power plant and options, I think it'll come down to choice. I don't need a 335, that's like 2 seats that won't get a person to sit in. I don't need a lot of trunk space and I'm really falling for the smaller car appeal and zeal, particularly after driving a large V8 for 11 years.

Now, if I needed more cargo space, or I had some folks to cart around, then I would maybe look at paying $5k more for the back end. But I'm loving my car. I come out of the restaurant or work and I smile whenever I see it. It's just fun to drive.

The only issue I'm having really that isn't nit picky is the total lack of power plant addons. More power makes me happy. So I guess my next car will be an m3 or whatever they drive around in heaven.
    -M

George Triant guest

Looking Forward to Delivery

I recently placed an order for a 2010 135, that I had the pleasure of building. I am replacing my 2008 535i, that was built to order and Euro delivered. I realize that for me, a BMW needs to be made to order and not purchased from dealer inventory. First, of all, most dealer's cars are automatic, so that's a deal breaker there.

I need to have the navigation and bluetooth. I went back and forth on ordering the premium package, and finally decided not too. My 535i has all the bells and whistles, and I've really had fun with them. But for the 135, I'd like a car that focuses on the drive, ie, engine, transmission and chassis. I order the sport's package for the seats, although they will be non leather.

I wonder if I will miss the ambiante lighting and the folding mirrors? Nah, I would have ordered a Lexus!

Smollett guest

I just got an email from the dealer saying they have a power package that'll boost the 35's up by a few horses (0.5 second drop according to the email). Might want to look at that. Also while I didn't get the leather seats myself, it does have the ambient light....what's that about? When did they suddenly come up with that? What's it used for?

I just did the SC delivery....too busy and I don't fly. Let us know how that goes!
    -S