Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Winter Wheel/tire Selection

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by jlwsbw, Feb 15, 2011.

jlwsbw

Good day all. My 2010 328iT 6spd is about to become my dd and the SUV goes away. in order to have lots of time to prep for next winter, I'd love some advice on which wheels/tires you all recommend for winter. Im contemplating buying a matching set of BMW wheels and simply mounting some winter tires on it. My business partner bought a wheel/tire set from Tire Rack for his M5, ASA wheels. I dont particularly like the look of the ASA wheels. I realize the BMW wheels are much more expensive, but other than cost is there any reason why I cannot use them in the winter weather?

granthr

For my 540i Sport I bought a set of used wheels from a non sport e39 to mount my snow tires. I also prefer the look of the factory wheels. I am running 18 inch M parallels in the summer and 16 inch basket weaves in the winter.

Do you have the sport package? If so, go down an inch or two in wheel size. Winter roads have more pot holes and the extra rubber will protect the wheels and suspension pieces better. Not to mention narrower tires perform better in snow. So narrow and tall is what you want! :D

jlwsbw

Thanks I appreciate your help and welcome all other opinions as well. I do have the M Sport Pkg on my vehicle. I guess I can keep an eye out for some used wheels, my only concern on used is what kind of abuse they may have taken one needs to know about. Are there any dealers across the nation that sell BMW parts discounted?

floydarogers

I used the OEM wheels on my '01 330xi in the winter. Only real problem I had is that WA State uses calcium chloride de-icer for roads. This liquid can penetrate the most minute cracks in the lacquer finish and cause corrosion that then cracks the finish. Your wheels then end up looking like pottery with cracked glaze.

Deutsch Marques

For many years, I've personally preferred Toyo tires. I've run summer performance on the DD and on the M3, and I've had their various winter tires as well. Never had an issue with any of their products.

I agree that you'd be best off with the smallest diameter wheels you can fit over your sports package breaks. And the narrower the better. On my '03 330i, I managed to fit some 16" BMW replica wheels on for my winter setup. On my current DD (the Passat), I run winters on the OEM 16" that came with the car, and I have summer performance on 18" aftermarket wheels.

You might consider a set of steel wheels (with or without wheel covers) for the winter. They cost less than even cheap alloys and who gives a crap if you bend or damage one on winter potholes.

A dedicated set of winter wheels/tires may cost a little more and be more work than running all-seasons (adequate year round, great never) but you'll get the most traction possible when the weather turns ugly.

bwillia guest

I'm running 17" Continental Winter contact snows on my 328xi coupe here in Colorado and they work great. That allowed me to buy some nice aftermarket wheels and put dedicated high performance summer rubber on them for fun in the canyons during the dry months.

jlwsbw

Which wheels do you have?

bwillia guest

I bought the Bayern Mesh

elfhloa

You can find some reduced pricing on OEM BMW wheels online...ECS Tuning was running some specials and many BMW dealers have discounts listed in Roundel.

I splurged on my 2010 e91 and got some BMW Motorsport wheels(style 216) with Continental DWS all season tires (Iraq combat pay). Don't forget the annoying TPMS sensors will run you another ~$400 if you want to keep the dash clean.
    All season package>>
    [IMG]

[IMG]

jlwsbw

First, thank you for your service. Second, awesome E91, love that color. This has convinced me to buy a second set of BMW wheels. Curiously, how will you store the extra set during the warm months (bags, rack, etc?)

elfhloa

Thanks for the thanks....
    I've been storing my extra wheel/tires in my basement, placed in plastic garbage bags and stacked four high...been doing that for years. (cool dark space, no sunlight)
    The OEM wheels are more $$ than some of the T-Rack options but will be a better product IMO (i.e.: not gravity cast from China)

MGarrison

As an aside, I have a couple of these "Metal Point Plus" tire racks, they work nicely, particularly for accomodating more than 4 whls/tires. I think their capacity estimates are based on tires a good bit narrower than on lots of BMW's, so if considering them, might want to measure tire width.

http://www.shelving-direct.com/category/tire_rack_shelving/11.htm

It looks as if the Tire Rack does have some presumably high-quality offerings (some of the BBS & OZ wheels), probably comparable to the dealer prices - additional options to consider, if shopping.

pcbeckwith

Just bought an awesome 2007 335xi w/sport pkg with 18" Bridgestone RE050 RFT. Since the Bridgestones are basically a summer tire, and I live in NEOhio, it dawned on me that I need to make a choice before next winter to purchase a set of winter wheels and tires or go with all-seasons. I love the way the present tires feel, even if they are run-flats, and I'm not sure all-season would be be an asset on this car. Anyone have suggestions as to going with winters vs all-season and what type of wheels and tires would be best for the 335xi? Thanks.

floydarogers

Almost everyone here will tell you to go with winter tires. Bridgestone Blizzak, Michelin Pilot Alpine, Nokian Hakkapelitta, ContiSportContact, Dunlop, even Goodyear or Firestone, lots of good selections. Main problem is: getting RFTs (few RFT snows available), getting the right size (there are few low profile selections), and choosing the speed rating (low speed rated tires have better winter traction). Definitely get some cheapo rims off tirerack - get cheapest 17" and go with a non-staggared setup - usually 225/45R17 on 7.5" or 8" wheels.

All-season tires are for poseurs, or for people living in areas that get one or two snowstorms where it melts off that week.

pcbeckwith

All good tires, I had Alpins on a 530i RWD and 17" wheels I purchased fromTireRack for snows, I had a problem with the wheels not fitting tight to the car so there was a slight wobble which I felt around 65-70, any recommendations on the 17" wheels for the snows?

floydarogers

Nope, not really. I bought a set of OEM wheels off the internet for my E46. Bought a set of inexpensive wheels from tirerack for my wife's Highlander winter set. If you buy a 17x7 or 17x7.5, you can put on inexpensive non-speed-rated tires: Michelin xIce or similar in the 205/50R17 size. Plenty of BMW rims in that size on tirerack for around $125 each. TPMS adds, of course.

fshubert

I've run two winters on the summer performance tires. No issues. I just wait until the snow stops and the plows have cleared the roads. :)

CRKrieger

Either you live where there's nothing we would consider snow or you're a complete fool ...

Deutsch Marques

I would not have put it that way, but I was thinking the same thing. Winter tires are for more than just snow. Summer tires below 40-50 degrees lose much of their grip. And even if the roads are plowed and dry, all it takes is one wet/icy spot to become acquainted with a tree.

CRKrieger

Some are more diplomatic (or more tolerant of foolishness) than I am.
    And all it takes is one whack at your insurance to cost you much more than a good set of snow tires & wheels.