Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Leak?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Zdaneman, Feb 10, 2011.

Zdaneman

I've been trying to figure this one out for months now. Good thing she is mostly sitting in the garage now for winter.

Car is leaking a clear fluid. Its not oil. Its not break or clutch fluid since I've rebuilt both systems in the last several months, (new brake job, new clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder) .

I've also cleaned off all the undercarriage from the leakage that occured prior to and after brake job and clutch work. I still can't determine where the leak is comming from!!!! It appears to be near the very front of the engine thats about all I can determine.

Any suggestions on where or what to look for now???

Zdaneman sends

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Tres mysterioso

What does it taste like?

Zdaneman

Bait anyone?

Satch, are you fishing for Suckers or Carp?

rjcaptsean guest

Rat pee?

Just kidding of course. If it's near the front of the engine and it's not oil or hydraulic fluid, that would leave Power Steering and Coolant. A small drip from the shaft seal of the waterpump would be hard to see but would leave a trail down the front side of the motor. The power steering is another obvious place but that fluid is reddish in color. Those crush rings tend to leak if the hoses get pushed around (kind of like what happens when you are down in that area messing with master/slave cylinders.)

Best thing to do it take it to a wash rack, give it a good rinse down with degreaser and a pressure wand and then look again once things dry off.

Good luck!

MGarrison

There aren't too many varieties of fluids in the car; oil, coolant, brake fluid, power steering, windshield washer fluid, & a/c refrigerant (although if that leaks, it's usually gaseous, although the a/c system may have an oil lubricant of some kind). If it's consistent from the same spot, jack the car up and start by trying to trace it from the bottom (use jack stands!).

Only other thing I can think of is if some part of bodywork is holding some rainwater, or something like that. Not really aware of any a/c or water drain line at the front of the car, but that don't mean there ain't one!

I guess there's the battery acid too, but that's contained in the battery, or at least should be, and in most E30's, the battery is in the trunk.

CRKrieger

Neither. Taste is the fourth sense you can bring to analyzing fluids under your car. Typical analysis goes:

1) Sight - Where is it? What color is it? Does it appear clear or cloudy?

2) Touch - how does it feel? Slippery or not?

3) Smell - oil, gas, coolant, or hydraulic fluid?

4) Taste - sweet, sharp, disgusting, or nothing (oily).

I'll admit that most things dripping off the bottom of your car really don't taste all that good and one or two of 'em is actually toxic, but the amount you need to taste is not going to kill anybody any more than rubbing a bit between your fingers will. You usually want to leave tasting for last because, f'rinstance, if you can't tell it's fuel by the smell, you deserve to have a little on your tongue. So no; Satch is not screwing with you. He's telling you something you could be doing to figure this out.

granthr

+1 Everything CR said and Satch was actually being serious!!! :eek:

Zdaneman

Ok,

1. Appears to be dripping from the front of the engine

2. Its slippery

3. No real smell

4. Sharp

Brake fluid and oil fluid levels and full and do not show any loss over several days. I also removed the under engine aluminum tray ( aftermarket) and clean it to make sure fluids were not collecting on it. I'm thinking an engine gasket? Not sure. I'll be putting it on the rack tomorrow for a good look see.

Does this help? Any thoughts?

Zdaneman sends

CRKrieger

Almost diagnostic as oil. Coolant isn't as slippery (and you can always dip into the reservoir for a comparison) and smells a bit sweet. Hydraulic fluid smells awful (IMHO).

Sharp taste can be older oil. Fresh has almost none at all. Probably a gasket or seal up front. It doesn't take much to be noticed, but harmless. Decide what your tolerance level is for adding oil occasionally compared to what it will cost to fix it.

John in VA

E30s are notorious for weeping a bit of oil at the front right (passenger's side) corner of the head gasket.