Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Drive By Wire not an issue

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ForcedInduction, Feb 8, 2011.

ForcedInduction guest

Deutsch Marques

Hmmm... incompetent drivers + sensationalism news = automaker debacle? Is this reminding me of Audi's woes a couple decades ago?
    • Staff

steven s

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration parking lot now looks like this. :)

M3Driver guest

or this....

ForcedInduction guest

I'm sure just as in the Audi 5000 case from the 80's where there was never any proven unintended acceleration, Toyota will be saddled with this false perception for decades. This extensive investigation won't convince many doubters however that DBW and other electronic controls are safe.

It's unfortuante that we do not hold our state driver licensing bureaus and drivers to as high a safety standard as we do car makers. It is criminal that state governments allow people to operate dangerous, potentially lethal motorized machinery, (when in the wrong hands), without reasonable or prudent driving skills. As a result of this negligence, we all pay higher insurance rates, auto prices, health care costs, etc.

Pyewacket1

+ 1!

I agree completely.

And, as autos get more complex interior electronic doo-dads (distractions), this situation will only intensify.
    • Staff

steven s

I recall something I read that people feared when radios were first installed that they would be too distracting to the driver.

ForcedInduction guest

For some folks radios ARE too distracting... How can they tune the radio, talk on a cellphone, text, eat lunch and drive all at the same time? :(
    • Staff

steven s

That's what driving school are for. :D

ForcedInduction guest

I've been to a lot of driving schools and none of them taught me how to eat a burger or text message while apexing... Maybe that course is "Distraction 202" ? I haven't taken that course yet. :confused:

conechaser

Wait until you join us in the Instructors group.

granthr

I had a friend pulled over for "drunk driving" one time, he was eating a hamburger, on the phone, and switching cds at the time. No alcohol involved. The officer told him to be careful. I would describe this friend as the typical driving public and a little out to lunch most of the time. :D:D

ForcedInduction guest

Been there, done that for over 20 years... ;)

That's the problem... :(

IMO he should have been ticketed, fined and required to attend a proper driver's education school to get his suspended license back.

granthr

I agree, but in this country driving is a right not a privileged. Seems like we (US traffic enforsement) ticket minor infractions like slight speeding on the highway and ignore more serious safety infractions, like tailgating, not stopping for stop signs, distracted driving, etc.
    • Staff

steven s

Since this already off topic and we are now talking about drivers.
    Anytime I watch TV and see people drive, I cringe at the way they hold the steering wheel.
    Wrist on the steering wheel. One hand. Palm steering. Not paying attention.

I recently watch the Top Gear episode where they were at VIR.
    Sheesh, if I drove like that I'd be asked not to return.
    And even driving on the street, very poor examples of steering control.

ForcedInduction guest

IMO municipalities and law enforcement agencies are primarily interested in revenue, not safety. :(

OFF TOPIC, perish the thought... ;)

No driving skills are required in America as a driver's license is a God given right. :rolleyes:

tiFreak

that's because you're not a car guy celebrity :D

for me, anything more complicated than lighting a cigarette I try not to do while I drive, even for that I'll try to wait until I'm at a red light or stop sign

Deutsch Marques

Yes and no. The OP stated that an investigation has shown that the problem was not a mechanical/electrical/computer problem. Therefore, it was driver error. Which led everyone to ranting about the pee-poor state of drivers on US roads.

Toyota's problems have boiled down to a society/cultural issue. America is the country of "it's not my fault". We, as a whole, pass the blame, refuse to take responsibility, and sue for damages way too easily. Some doofus crashes his car and the news sensationalizes the story. But it's not his fault. Oh no... it must have been the car!

Don't even get me started with how awful the drivers education and traffic law enforcement are here. We need to standardize on a stricter national driving standard, much like some European countries have and crack down on dangerous and reckless driving. I'm not talking revenue generation on "speeders" going 5-10 over. But it will never happen because we don't have the public transportation infrastructure to handle all the people who would become incapable of obtaining a license. And people would protest that their privacy is being invaded by enforcement cameras etc.

ForcedInduction guest

Welcome to the Land of Entitlement... It's all down hill from here if you believe in personal responsibility

ForcedInduction guest