Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

headlight lens replacement

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by rodrookey, Feb 7, 2011.

rodrookey guest

Seems like all new cars are using plastic headlight lens covers that become sandblasted in short order. It doesn't help living in New England with all of the sand applied to road surfaces during the winter. Anyway, has anyone ever replaced a lens. I looked at the drivers side and got into it but stopped cause I didn't want to break any more parts (I broke the lower plastic tab that holds the rubber seal in place)? Are there some instructions available somewhere? Thanks

John in VA

alstroberg guest

Try simple stuff first...

This is a recurrent issue for just about everyone. I had great results with a DIY lens polish kit by 3M but there are several others out there. It took about 30 min, looks great & I have not yet noticed a tendency toward rapid deterioration.
    Even if it does not work you're only out $25

cwbiii guest

bit of work...

Usually you have to remove the whole headlight assembly in order to replace the lens.
    This can be quite a bit of work... both to remove and to reassemble and realign.
    Pay close attention to shims and where they come from in removing the headlight assembly. Mine were plastic and having an indelible black sharpie on hand to label them
    with as you remove them makes reassembly easier. You will need to access a book such as the one recommended in the prior message of figure out how to access one of the several electronic databases available to technicians. The best of those is BMW's TIS database, but difficult to secure a CD for your car. If you search the internet hard enough you may find one somewhere. Some may be pirated and there is significant risk in obtaining the information from one of these sources.

Chuck

cwbiii guest

try here

If you have the correct browser, try here... http://www.bmwtis.com

I don't have the correct browser so I don't know if it can be accessed without a password.

Chuck

cwbiii guest

cwbiii guest

This site requires a password, but you can get access for $30/ day... which isn't bad if you know what you need to do and have a printer handy.

Chuck

cwbiii guest

rodrookey guest

Thanks

Thanks to all