Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2004 745i -help locating an ABS relay

Discussion in 'E65/E66 (2002-2008)' started by shilchey, Feb 3, 2011.

shilchey

The part new from the dealer will require that I refinance my house... any ideas on where to locate a tested "used" one - as lame as that may sound?

MGarrison

I don't know about tested, but there's ebay or if you're lucky enough, maybe a local pick-n-pull junkyard might have the same model car...

bcweir

If you have the part number, you can also check at autohausaz.com

Might be worth a shot to you.

CSBM5

I assume you're talking about the DSC/ABS pump unit? For a start, get the part number and go to Tischer BMW's site, www.getbmwparts.com, and put it in. Then you can at least see what the real BMWNA list price is along with their discounted price. Many dealers significantly markup prices above BMWNA list, so their discounted price may be way, way under what your local dealer is quoting. (not that it will be "cheap" though)

granthr

Can't you just drive the spare Isetta that came in the trunk of your 745i? It is probably behind one of the trunk liners!! LOL :D:D:D

Zeichen311

At Tischer BMW: 2004 BMW 7 Series
    Electrical > Abs components > Abs pump assy: ABS Pump assembly
    MSRP: $2,736.27
    Selling price: $2,189.02

Ouch. :(

I see why you hope to find a used one...can't help there, though. However:
    Electrical > Abs components > Repair kit: Repair kit - ABS pump
    MSRP: $1,241.34
    Selling price: $993.07

If the ABS relay you refer to is a component of the pump assembly, and if said relay is included in the repair kit, perhaps your unit can be rebuilt rather than replaced? Depending on labor time, you should come out well ahead if it's repairable. A second opinion (from another dealer or an indy shop) might be in order.

I assume you're aware that you still have braking function--but no anti-lock or stability control--when ABS goes on the fritz. A third option is to just drive the car until you're willing/able to foot the repair bill.

Good luck.

bcweir

Please pardon Grant...

Not only did he come with a "compassion delete" option in his "build sheet" but he apparently didn't come with a spellchecker from the "factory" either.

I believe the word you were looking for is "trunk", not "truck", Grant. Bad enough you used the wrong word once -- you actually made the same error twice in a row! To answer your next question, Grant, no, they don't mean the same thing. :D

One other idea I had was that if you know someone who is good with a soldering iron, if you can identify the faulty component, you may be able to replace the faulty component from such vendors as Mouser.com. They supplied the capacitors that enabled me to have my electronic instrument cluster repaired for $15, vs. the $75 to $100 I would have had to pay on Ebay, or even the $700 new item that the dealer wanted me to spring for.

granthr

There fixed! :D Spell check doesn't catch wrong words spelled right!! :D I was laughing too hard remembering the Skitz (was that his name?) cartoon where the salesman is showing the prospective buyer the spare Isetta in the trunk of the new 7 he was looking at. Any sense of humor around here??:confused:

bcweir

Must be my fault then...

... I simply don't find the compromised operation of an important safety item (such as brakes) humorous -- or its expensive replacement. Admittedly, he still has normal braking, at the expensive of traction control and anti-lock function. However if he has to make a panic stop to avoid hitting another vehicle, a child, a lamp post etc. I would find little humor in that.

I guess I prefer to laugh with someone rather than at them.

Unless "banana peel" humor has undergone a really dark overhaul, I will leave it at that.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I have not read all of the responses because some of them seem annoyingly off topic.
    If you have the trifecta of warning lights (ABS, DSC, brake) then it is likely a failure of the ABS brain, not relay. This can be rebuilt by many companies, such as Module Masters. It used to be an expensive ordeal, but now is relatively cheap, like $300. The control unit is located on the ABS pump assembly. Instructions here:
    http://modulemaster.com/en/BMW/7-series_info.php

The car can be driven while the module is being rebuilt. You cannot purchase a used unit because it is coded to the car. You can buy a new one in the aftermarket, but you still need to have it programmed to your car. Having yours rebuilt is the best and cheapest option.

shilchey

Many thanks to all for your help.

Very happy to know there is still humor around as well as great directional advice. The option of rebuild seems the most appealing and appropriate. Will get back with results.
    Scott