Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Speed Limit Enforced by Aircraft

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by steven s, Feb 1, 2011.

• Staff

steven s

ForcedInduction guest

It looks "effective" to me.

Zeichen311

That's one reason why I always order a moonroof, despite the added weight. :D

WATCH THE SKIES

M3Driver guest

Funny. Here's one that made the rounds in the Army Aviation office I worked in a long time ago. Quite naturally the guy who sent it was an Apache driver.

Deutsch Marques

Meh. Video should have used a Warthog. :D
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

[IMG]

We've had those in VA for years.

Mike Miller

In Pennsylvania the state police use the threat of airborne speed traps as a PSYOP. In reality, they have very few aircraft that are only available for speed traps when they're not being used for something else -- or grounded for maintenance or repairs. It's not out of the question to get nailed by a bear in the air, but it is very rare.
    • Staff

steven s

You are telling me that the video is a fake? :eek:

M3Driver guest

Air Farce guy, eh? :p

M3Driver guest

I'm guessing you've seen this movie? :D

Calypso Diver guest

Keep in mind they stated several years ago they couldn't afford to fly the aircraft in VA. The ROI wasn't there. Figured they'd leave the signs as a scare factor. Find one person who got caught that way in VA recently? or even in the last 5 or 10 years.

tiFreak

that's because they keep getting blown up :p

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well, the great state of California. . .

. . . has no money for anything, but they still use aircraft. As a friend of mine used to have on his license plate, CHECK6.

CRKrieger

Wisconsin sold its plane years ago. Unknowingly sitting at a seminar beside the Wisconsin State Patrol counsel, I made a wisecrack about it. He told me 'they had ways', but he wouldn't elaborate. I no longer pay any attention to the signs we still have standing. The other thing to look for on highways is the big distance marker stripes beside the road. They are about 4' x 8', running perpendicular to the side line, so they can be seen from the air. They're usually spaced at 1/4 or 1/8 mile increments. If these have fallen into serious disrepair (getting nearly invisible) compared to other road markings, that means the budget - and incentive - to repaint them is gone. :D

Pyewacket1

No doubt many states see red-light cameras as a far more lucrative measure than air enforcement of speed laws.

Much more revenue, much less costs and far less maintenance.

NASADeac

Yeah, that will work. And the 1st poor guy in a BMW with worthless run-flats who hits that pothole will have a sidewall bulge in two or more tires. He'll need to take out a 2nd mortgage on his home to buy the new tires. Way to go BMW.

az3579

That isn't BMW's fault, it's the state's. I kid you not, I cannot go down the side streets near my house at more than 10 miles per hour because it would almost certainly destroy your tire, your rim, and almost certainly the shock mounts on that side. In fact, there is one so atrociously deep and rough that if you literally just roll over it, be it in D in an auto and not on the gas, or in first gear just rolling no throttle in a manual, you can still feel the whole car dip down into it and just barely get by without losing your rim. The best part? It's unavoidable; you have to go through it.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

death to potholes

Turns out the #1 topic people bring up with the City Council looters in Sandy Eggo is: potholes. So now they say they're thinking of spending two million dollars to fix them. . . .

That will take care of about four blocks.

It must be those wicked-bad freeze-thaw cycles...........