Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2010 E90 Key Stuck in the Ignition

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by LOPHAT2, Jan 15, 2011.

LOPHAT2

After turning off the vehicle when the key is pushed, manually, into the ignition key hole which allows the key to unlock/disengage and release is not functioning properly. As a result, my key is stuck in the ignition and I can't remove it. Car has DCT transmission.

Has anyone experienced their key getting stuck in the ignition? Any suggestions? It looks like I'll have to take in to the dealer for service.

BMWCCA1

Try putting the vehicle in reverse or neutral first. And put your foot on the brake.

neep3r guest

Take it in and out of park.

MGarrison

He probably got it by now neep3r, something tells me he didn't let the key stay stuck for the last two months....! ;) :p

cwbiii guest

I had this happen to me...

The answer was put it in park dummy... I had shut it off on level ground and it would not let go of that damn key no matter what I did until I took a deep breath and reassessed everything and moved the selector from D to P. So there is an interlock switch in there somewhere that could be intermittent if it is not a simple cockpit error.

Chuck

BMWCCA1

Chuck,

Don't waste your time thinking about how many parts there are on a modern car that could go bad!

Many cars have required being in a certain gear to remove the key for decades. The BMW 700s from the '60s come to mind. We managed to live through that. Most automatics won't start in anything but P or N, either. Doesn't seem to cause any angst. ;)

LOPHAT2

Thanks for the ideas and help. I tried all that everyone mentioned and none of it worked. I had to take in to the dealer to get the issue resolved.

Zeichen311

So? What was the problem? Inquiring minds want to know (and us loyal members of the peanut gallery, too)!