Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Poll: Last off the line?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TxFeatFan, Jan 11, 2011.

TxFeatFan

Here's a poll for the deep thinkers in the group:

I've posted my E36 M3 for sale, prior to taking delivery of a new, 2011 E90 M3.

This particular M3 happens to be the very last 1996 M3 off the production line.

Is that:

A) A good thing - it makes it rare!
    B) A good thing - they had lots of practice!
    C) Both A & B
    D) A bad thing - the workers were headed for the door!
    E) Who cares?!?

I can't decide if it's a selling point. :confused:

drummerfc

Ummmm...Asking Price??? :confused::confused:

I'm wavering between C and E. Moreso towards C...or perhaps E...orrr...ahhh never mind, just tell us how much ya want for the friggin' thing!! :D:D

TxFeatFan

$10,500, based on feedback from the guys in the Houston Chapter who have laid eyes on it, though they didn't know about its production sequence at the time.

It's in the BMW CCA marketplace, and here: http://www.fishersite.us/m3

CRKrieger

I'm goin' with E.

tiFreak

kind of an interesting fact that the next owner might like to know, not really a selling point

drummerfc

Very nice...I've always liked that body style. I had a '96 328is with the luxury pkg. and a 5 speed manual...loved it. Biggest car mistake (actually 2nd biggest, first biggest was leasing a '98 Volvo C70 convertible!) was not purchasing it off-lease instead of turning it in.

TxFeatFan

Ouch.:( That probably ranks as a classic blunder - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia."

drummerfc

Yeah, you ain't just whistlin' dixie.:mad: I've never driven a bigger POS in my life!! And that includes an '84 Pontiac Fiero (the 4-cylinder version - AAACCCKKK :eek:) and a '78 Mercury Monarch (which smoked so much I nicknamed it the BOMBarch) I inherited from my wife-to-be after I sold said Fiero!

TxFeatFan

I bet you miss that quadriphonic 8-track! :p
    [IMG]

drummerfc

HAR!! :D

Remember when they threw a few "goodies" into that body style and tried to pass it off as a Lincoln?? :confused: I believe the re-badged car was called a Versaille. Then there was the time GM took a Chevette or a Cavalier, threw power windows, power seats, cruise control, and a Caddy emblem on it and called it a Caddilac Cimmaron!!! :eek:

God, the auto industry in the '70s was really reaching, eh??

eam3

What issues did you have?

We've owned 3 Volvos and the experience has been wonderful. Our trusty '02 S60 T5, which gets no love at all, just starts up every morning and everything works like it did on day one.

Zeichen311

Only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" :D

bcweir

I remember that one - the era of "pinstripe performance."

"My pinstripes are faster than YOUR pinstripes!"

"Oh yeah? Well, the colors on my leisure suit are LOUDER."

"So's my 8-track stereo."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah!"

"Man, dig that crazy CB antenna!"

"Groovy!"

bcweir

I'm going to go with E, sorry.

According to Wikipedia:

The 1996-1999 model years had displacement bumped up to 3.2 L, still with 240 bhp (179 kW; 243 PS) , but torque increases to 320 N·m (240 lb·ft) which is the same S52B32US engine used in the early M Roadster and M Coupe. The manual gearbox remains a 5-speed despite the European versions being upgraded to 6-speed. It was also available as a sedan starting in model year 1997, and as convertible in 1998. Production of the sedan was halted in 1998, while the other models continued until 1999.

drummerfc

Ohhh, you name it, I probably experienced it. That car was cursed! :eek: Top-down driving was fun but I had many, many quality/mechanical issues with it. One time the driver-door inside handle broke off in my hand...not a big problem except for the fact that the power window in the same door stopped working a few days prior. So to get out of the car, I literally had to lower the rear-left window, stick my arm out of the car, and open the door with the outside handle. :confused: Brutal...

I don't doubt or disagree with you; I've heard they are really reliable and safe. My friend has a 2000 E70 with almost 200 grand on it and he still drives it. He likes it...and from what he tells me, it's still a strong, good runner and in decent enough shape.

I think I just was unfortunate enough (or dumb enough) to sign papers for a lease on a rolling lemon.:D

drummerfc

Ohh yeah, the funny but scary 70s!

The most maddening thing about the 8-track is how right in the middle of a song (usually the best song on the album or the album's big hit) the track would change.

TxFeatFan

Got it! :)

TxFeatFan

Yep, so it's nothing special - just a neat artifact. I'm just glad nobody thinks it's a bad thing. [IMG]

bcweir

Just one thing I don't understand...

..if you're selling the E36 M3, what will your daughter drive?

You're not seriously going to hand over the keys for a 414 hp E92 M3 over to a 16 year old girl are you? :eek:

TxFeatFan

No.:p She (and her sister to follow) will drive a Honda Civic Si instead. Elaine (and I) will autocross with that new Civic in January's Houston Chapter DE.

BTW, How do you pop a wheelie in a FWD? :rolleyes: