Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Instrument panel and shift knob lights

Discussion in 'E36/8 Z3 M coupe (1998-2003)' started by bmwix88, Jan 9, 2011.

bmwix88 guest

Does anyone have any experience with the source of light failure in the center instrument panel cluster and shift knob?
    Thanks!

granthr

Check the fuse box for any blown fuses. Year and model would help. Are any other dash lights on?

bmwix88 guest

2000 M Coupe. The fuses checked out okay. All of the dash lights are out.

granthr

How about any exterior lights, do they all work? On my E30 325ix, the right tail light, license plate lights, and dash lights are all on the same circuit.

I hate to say this but check all the fuses again, just to make sure. Sometimes they blow and it is hard to tell that they did.

If that checks out, I would probably start checking the main connectors to the dash lights. Do you have a Bentley Manual? If not get one, it will be very helpful.

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=BZ02&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_source=BZ02

Electrical problems can be tough to track down. So break it down into manageable areas, and slowly eliminate possible sources of the problem.

tiFreak

I know 318ti's have a similar problem caused by a short in the dash wiring, it blows the dimmer rheostat in the headlight switch and knocks out all the lights on the dimmer circuit

EDIT: just cross referenced the part number, the 318ti and Z3 use the same switch so that's definitely what I'd say the problem is

bmwix88 guest

Thanks! I'll get a Bentley Manual

bmwix88 guest

Thanks! I bet you're right and will investigate.

TommyBuckman

Instrument Light Failure

I also have a 2000 M Roadster. My Odometer/Trip meter light went out, all other were working. No blown fuses. I ended up taking mine to my Certified BMW repair shop, not a BMW dealer, and they repaired for a reasonable charge. I think it cost me around $50, but they were doing some other repairs. I had to replace the headlight control switch twice, and did it myself. If you don't have the proper tools, it can be a very hard to get to and troublesome job. The reostat seems to wear out easily, even though I never use it?

bmwix88 guest

Thanks! I really want to avoid the dealer and am hoping my mechanic has the proper tools. I ordered a headlight control switch today but we also got about 5 inches of snow so it might be awile before I take my M out of the garage.

kperess

My center stack had two out of three lights out -- had to have the darn console removed to replace the bulbs -- about a two hour job to replace three $5 bulbs <sigh>

jajou318

Sounds about right.

And to the OP definitely the rheostat switch. But first I would make sure your shift knob is not grounding out any of the wires or else you'll end up with another blown switch.