Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E90 sport tire replacement

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by rdsteele15, Jan 9, 2011.

rdsteele15

Hi all,
    I have a 2008 E90 sport package 328i. I am thinking of replacing the original tires with non-run flats and with all season tires -- I do not do enough snow driving to get winter tires. There now seems to be a real selection of ultra high performance all seasons like the Continental DWS, the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS, and others. Anybody have any experience with these?
    Also, the dealer said that an E46 donut might work as a spare, but was not sure. Anybody try this? Thank you all much.

John in VA

rdsteele15

thank you, John. I have looked at the reviews and they look great. I was just wondering if anyone had tried the tires specifically on an E90. Also, the bigger issue was the donut. My Tire Rack salesman was not sure about that.
    Thanks again
    Robert
    '08 328i sport
    formerly
    '06 330i sport
    '97 328i sport
    '94 325i

clcromartie guest

I've used the Continental DW and DWS. I think both sets are outstanding. They both are very comfortable, quiet, and handle like a dream. With the DWS you loose a little handling but gain all season performance. Im currently running DWS and don't plan to switch back to the DW. Until I find a better tire in the same price range, ill continue running Extreme Contact. Hope this helps.

rdsteele15

Thank you. I am ordering the Continental DWSs and I am pretty confident in the choice. I am still hunting down info on the spare.

carln

rdsteele15

Thank you. This looks as if it might have been a good option and certainly takes up less space than the compact spare and the jack. For better or worse, I already got the spare and had my old jack. Maybe next time I will consider this alternative.
    I got the COntinental DWS and they seem pretty good so far, but the main advantage has been driving in light snow without a problem. Good driving.
    Robert

gshauger guest

Tires

I am running Yokohama S-4 for summer tires on staggered custom wheels and have been happy. If I go on a road trip will put the stock run flats/wheels back on. Just for piece of mind.

rdsteele15

thank you. I went with the Continentals and a compact spare. I didnt want to get caught with the runflats in the middle of no where. I think --hope-- i have better chance of finding conventional tires if I am ever stuck. In the meantime, I am happy to have high performance all season tires, given this winter.

rbindc

You made the right choice. If a tire splits the sidewall (which is not uncommon) the Conti kit will be useless. Stick with the donut spare.

Also, your tire choice is a good one. I personally went with the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season because it handles a bit better in the dry but is not as good in the wet or in snow. It also costs significantly more than the DWS and I'm not convinced it is worth it.

However, I am happy with all-seasons and don't think they sacrifice all that much in performance. Don't listen to the naysayers that will chant "all-seasons are no-seasons." If you only drive in light snow they are fine. And they avoid having to change wheels twice a year - a big advantage in my book.

rdsteele15

Thanks for your input. I am glad to have a good reason to carry around the tire and the jack, which seems to weigh as much as the spare!
    So far, happy with the DWS choice.