Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Snow stories

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dms540i, Dec 27, 2010.

dms540i

OK we need to know. Who had fun today in the snow? How much, how long did last, you know, the best stuff. What was the Blizzard of 2010 like for you and your BMW?

MGarrison

Blizzard? What Blizzzard?? ;) Ok, Ok, I know, some o' ya'll definitely got blizzarded!

Zeichen311

In one of life's great ironies, my shiny new AWD beast ("blizzard, shmizzard!") sat parked in the garage, unable to go out and play in the snow because it is not yet wearing winter boots. :(

If nothing else, it stayed clean an extra day....

I know I'm out of date and Tire Rack says it ain't so. But, snows and AWD?? Isn't that a bit much?

I know, I just have to go back to my 1970's world (under the rock) and bask in the glory days of rolling on the ground, mounting tire chains.

Please, don't take offense. I'm just wandering thru....

M3Driver guest

A supercharged M3 is not a snow mobile (as we probably all know). However my wife's 08 X3 did an fine job in the 4 inches or so that we got in the Deep South and it was fun to watch all the local Bubbas trying to get up a hill with no sucess in their "yee-haw" trucks while we went right past them.

Other than that, I enjoyed a Knob Creek on the rocks while watching others slide around.:D

Zeichen311

None taken, I neglected to mention it's wearing Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZPs at the moment--summer-only tires. AWD helps get you moving but turning and stopping is all on the tires--and in snow the PS2s are rubbish. This morning's drive to work was, um, "interesting" in places.

Oh, in answer to "Isn't that a bit much?"--no, it's just about perfect. :D The only thing I struggle with in winter is answering people who ask me whether the roads are bad, because for an AWD 3er on snows, they rarely are. The last time I gave an unqualified "yes" answer, our Governor had declared a state of emergency and ordered non-essential vehicles off the roads. Even then, they were merely "bad," not impassable.

Then again, I cut my driving teeth in Upstate NY winters so I think this stuff is fun (and an opportunity to practice), which in NJ makes me seem a bit of a nut job. :D

OK, a true purest that still runs summer-only tires.

I'm going back under my rock.

bluewagon

Living in Florida now I did not have to drive in the blizzard of 2010, but my 74 2002 did drive in the blizzard of 1978. No problems had 4 Vredesteins on the car.plus RainX on the windows.
    bluewagon

1996 328ti guest

I humbly disagree. Summer tires in snow is a recipe for a disaster.

Zeichen311

He meant, "a true purist who runs summer-only tires in the summer." ;) 'Tain't summer no more, which is why I couldn't go out and play in the snow.

1996 328ti guest

Ahh. Thanks for the clarification.
    You see, this is how I learned my lesson the hard way while driving on what were probably Michelin Z rated Sports. http://www.318ti.org/steven/ouch/
    My 5 minutes of fame.
    I bought a set of snows once the car was out of the shop. Better late than never.

The truth be told, I'm still driving the 1989 garage queen (that has never had snow tires), because we've never had any real snow and it's been too cold for her final wash before entering the winter garage spot (next to the battery tender). The real daily driver, the 330i, has spent most of the year in storage and only had the snows removed in August when I pulled the car from storage. Since I only changed the tires in August, I'm really procrastinating on the tire change.

If it does snow, I'll have to walk two blocks to the bus stop and wait for the snow to melt.

This been an unusual year and I'm sorta liking it. In fact, I'm even reconsidering my stance on periodic laundry.

MGarrison

Here's to hoping you don't get too periodic about soap, shampoo, toothpaste, bathing, & deodorant (unless, perchance, you never leave the house).:p

drummerfc

Which one?? :confused:

Seriously - Here in Joisey we had one a coupla days ago...and 3 in succession back in February or January, I've tried very hard to forget. :eek: And for the record, it was "OOHHHH soooo fun trying to make my way up a really steep section of my street, in the snow, in a rear-wheel drive E39 fiver but I ain't complaining a bit.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Ah, yes, the Winter of Ought Ten. . .

We had rain---a WEEK of it! So on the first gorgeous clear day, we took Party A's 335i to the Pearl Street car wash. Then yesterday it rained AGAIN, so we huddled inside.

Today was gorgeous again, but chilly, so we turned up the seat heaters when we took the roadster to breakfast.

Personal hygiene is always a struggle, no? But, never fear, I'll shave on Monday morning before going into work.

Christmas week vacation is a bit tough when you live in a land that lacks enough snow to ski and is too cold for motorcycle rides. I hear that in Wisconsin, they go stark raving mad and go ice fishing or pimp the snow blower.

Today's high temp will be in the mid-40's, which is quite balmy for the past month. Hopefully, I have enough quarters in the change jar and the car wash owner has chipped the ice off of the wash bay floor.

Needless to say, your sad story about the chilly day and seat heaters sorta burns my butt...........:)

Clinesdale guest

328xi without snow tires

I had my 335i in the shop for yet another issue (OH! And an unrequested recall replacement for the HPFP!). I was given a nice 328i with xDrive as a loaner. I drove from Pittsburgh to Altoona, PA and hit some very minor icy spots over the mountain near Altoona. What I experienced was like nothing I've seen in 15 years of driving in Pittsburgh and over a million miles traveled thus far.

The car pivoted on its center axis like a carousel horse on its very own pole. I couldn't figure out if it was how the all wheel drive and DTC react to uncertain conditions, but it nearly scared the poop out of me. I promptly got out to make sure all the lug nuts were attached. Other cars were flying past me with no apparent issues.

I was more than happy to get back in my rear-driven 335i with Blizzak tires.

Autohaus guest

Another one is heading towards the northeast tonight. Not sure if my wife's job will be open tomorrow or not, however, I'll take her in the e46 as the other two will be collecting snow in the driveway :(.

I remember back in December 07 I was leaving work (believe it or not I once had a career in my formal life) around 2pm during a snow storm. Driving on the Palisades PKWY was very challenging with no snows. I stayed in 2nd gear the whole journey up towards the Bear Mt. Bridge. I saw countless Subaru's, SUV's and other AWD/4WD/FWD vehicles pass me by while I was going 20mph only to see them stuck in ditches :D. I was most concerned about going up inclines as the DSC kept on flashing and I was losing speed, though I was impressed on how well she handled.

drummerfc

I swear, one of the WORST (if not THE worst) things about impending/present snowstorms in this area (S. Jersey/Philly) is the incessant media coverage. :rolleyes::mad: I mean, come ON already people, it IS winter after all!!! This isn't the first, and it certainly won't be the last, snowstorm you've ever seen in the area!!! Witness:

- Before the snow you get endless weather forcasts with the station utilizing their technology-du-jour and much of the coverage is a commercial in disguise, where they continually tell you how great their coverage is because they have "Earth Station Wild and Crazy Snow Radar One!!!".

- Also sickeningly prevalent is video of the trucks being filled up with salt and spreading the salt onto the already salty roads, it's a wonder our cars don't have high blood pressure with all of the tons of salt on the roads already ;)

- How much fun it is to play the media's "Guess the Snow Totals" game..."tonite we're expecting between 2 and 22 inches of snow in the Delaware Valley, it all depends upon the track of the storm, which, lucky for you, we're watching with our exclusive Earth Station Wild and Crazy Snow Radar One system!!!" GMAFB!!

- And, to top it off, the icing on the cake...priceless video of utter dopes who, upon hearing and viewing the endless snowstorm coverage, insist on heading out to the supermarket DURING THE STORM to wipe the shelves clean of Eggs, Milk, Bread, and flashlight batteries. It's amazing - "hey, it's gonna snow...let's go to the store and get our stuff to make French Toast in the Dark!!!" :rolleyes::):confused:

Simply incredible...we need to get a grip already!