Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Re-coding for key fob comfort closing on an E92

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by mattlovell, Dec 23, 2010.

mattlovell

I'm perplexed why BMW offers comfort opening of side windows and sunroof via the key fob, but not (for the E92 coupe) any equivalent comfort closing. Speaking with a BMW dealer near me (in Longmont, Colorado), the feature evidently *does* exist on non-US models; BMW will not activate it in the US, stating federal laws as an obstacle.

I've checked the US owner's manual for Mercedes-Benz C-class, and they offer key fob-based window closing. BMW on the E93 convertible also has the feature. So, I'm mostly just confused.

There are just two additional (electronic) features I wish my car to have --- the ability to close the windows and sunroof remotely via the key fob and beeping/honking upon locking. (I know the BMW alarm system would provide the later.)

I know about the remoteKey+ CANnet dongle that's available. It can accomplish both of the above.

I've also read about 'recoding' the E92 vehicle, though. Buried within the ECM is a KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB option that "just" needs to be changed from non-active to active (well, the German equivalent of that). Is there anyone in the Denver/Boulder area that has experience with such re-coding for an E92?

I'm a computer engineer, but I have to say that the documentation I've found online for re-coding has not been very thorough. For that reason, and the seeming possibility of "bricking" the car, I would like more information before tackling it as a DIY project.

Thanks for any info or advice!
    Matt

Zeichen311

This doesn't address your problem per se but did you know you "comfort close" can be activated from the driver's door lock? Simply insert the master key, turn to the right and hold.

I share your opinion that it would be nicer to use the remote. However since you'd have to stay within range until the windows (and roof) fully close anyway, I never found it much of an inconvenience to use the lock switch.

mattlovell

Yes, I knew about the driver's door lock. Your point about being "in range" is valid, of course, but tends to re-enforce my confusion regarding BMW's restrictions. You must be near the car for the key fob to work, or directly next to the car for the driver's door lock to work, but nothing says you'll actually be looking at the car while the windows are moving! Given that pinch protection should still be active, I'm not understanding the claim about federal laws at all.

Perhaps it's all just a scheme to sell more instances of the proximity-based convenience access in the US. :)

345861 guest

"Comfort close" with the master key also opens the windows when unlocking - if you use the key.

If you have Comfort Access, you can also close the windows by holding the CA ridged button on either door. But holding the CA button when unlocking the car does NOT lower the windows as you would expect.

CA, the master key and the remote all behave differently, which is kind of goofey. It's really just bad programming on BMW's part - probably due to the Master Key engineers, Comfort Access engineers and Remote engineers all working in their respective "silos of excellence."

mattlovell

DOT Part 571.118

The DOT rules on vehicle windows can be found online here:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.118

Section 4 deals with closing requirements:

So, I suppose BMW might be afraid of violating (S4)(d)...However, the next section is all about exemptions that apply. S5.1 appears to define pinch protection, which would seem to make a "remote actuation device" acceptable.

345861 guest

Great digging! You might be right.

6 meters? Hmmm, is that so you can run over and pull the kid's arm out of the window? That's quite a ways away!

hyderali91

I activated on my M3 and on my father's E60. No add-on modules or wiring, just recoded the existing modules :). On the E60, I also made it so the mirrors fold and unfold with the remote too. I could just as easily do it for an E9x car too, but I don't actually have access to one (yet).

2005 M3 Remote Windows Close:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgQy_TQNqOc

2008 535xi Remote Windows Close + Mirror Fold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVWHE7aajh4

I also tested the pinch sensors, they'll stop the windows and sunroof from closing if tripped. Keep in mind that on the E46 coupe, the rear windows don't have pinch sensors (even European spec e46 coupes can't close the rear windows via remote, but thankfully it is codable)