Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Don't get caught in DWI or any speed exhibition or contest in Westchester County, NY

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bcweir, Dec 16, 2010.

CRKrieger

OK; if it isn't personal, then you should have no problem with clarifying to the group that you are not referring to me with your term, "paid liars". Otherwise, it IS personal.

ForcedInduction guest

I never referred to you as a paid liar. If you read my posts I originally posted that the paid liars could argue over the Constitutional issues. You were offended by that and other comments I posted because we share different POVs on crime and punishment. I'm fine with differing POVs. Thankfully we live in a democracy where people are free to embrace different POVs.

ForcedInduction guest

It's pretty much established that you can get as much "justice" as you can afford in the U.S.

Pyewacket1

WHAT?!?!?

Are you suggesting O.J. really WAS guilty????

Wasn't he seen searching for the real killer(s) on golf courses all over the country?

LOL!!!!!

CRKrieger

If you read ALL the posts, you will see that I am the one who raised the constitutional issue and you will see that you were the one who immediately referred to anyone who might do so as a "paid liar". This is obviously your too-clever term for any lawyer who would support anything that you don't like. That is me.
    Don't flatter yourself with your flip analysis of my opinions. I am not offended because we have differing points of view on crime and punishment. I am offended because you called me a liar. In case you don't already know, that constitutes libel, per se. Now, because I am tired of your attempts to blithely dodge the issue, I am demanding an apology.

ForcedInduction guest

Sorry but you're reading WAY too many things into this forum discussion. I don't know you personally and I never called you a liar or a paid liar. I said paid liars could argue the Constitutional aspects of the new laws. And from the way you're acting I wouldn't desire to know you personally.

It's time you get a grip on reality and accept the fact the lawyers like used car sales people have earned the reputation they enjoy. If you're one of the few ethical, honest lawyers out there, great it's nice to know a few still exist. I didn't libel you and I'm not apologizing for not libeling you.

If you can't deal with different POV's on a forum then I suggest you not participate in forums.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Now now now

Don't let's be too disingenuous and suggest that we did NOT mean to imply that lawyers equals paid liars. I once made a similar characterization, thinking I was being brilliantly witty and clever, and was brought up rather short by several lawyers of my acquaintance. So I thought it over. . . and apologized.

Why, some of my best friends---

(Actually, that's true; besides the vaunted Bruddah Krieger, Esquiah, we have the executive director of the BMW CCA, Bruddah Frank, a lawyer by trainging and driver of a 6 Series coupe by passionate avocation. Now to mention my LA friend Christ Wright: "South African by birth, American by choice!" And my own personal mouthpiece whose efforts continue to keep me on this side of the bars. Some bars, anyway.)

Hey, it's Christmas. Let's try to get along.

tiFreak

back to the original topic, I think most of those offenses will be done by younger people, most likely the ones who blow their money customizing their cars and who see their cars as their first taste of freedom. Since they know that getting stopped would mean losing their car, I think this law is only going to encourage them to run from the cops, which is a whole lot more dangerous than a couple guys peeling out at a red light

CRKrieger

The kid makes a good point. I wonder if this won't produce some 'run for the border' chases so the violator can get busted in a jurisdiction where they won't try to take his car away.

Michgndr89

Crime and punishment. Hmm. I'd rather see "effective and meaningful" punishment.

A ticket for talking on the handheld cell phone while driving (where such laws exist). Not effective.
    Having that law enforcement officer slash two tires instead of issuing a ticket. Very effective, with a hint of kharma, since the offender can use their cell phone to call a wrecker.

M3Driver guest

As we used to say "back in the day" (i.e. seventies)....."You can't outrun Motorola"....

If nothing else it might make for some good Youtube video.....:D

ForcedInduction guest

I suspect that "effective" is the whole point to the seizure of vehicles in NY state.

My old buddy, Lawyer Ben, would argue vociferously about almost anything, but would always buy the next round. Happily, I lost many arguments with the learned counsel.

Merry Christmas

PS - I bet no one ever made derogatory comments about Krieger's profession when he was playing with polymers.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Haven't been to Hot August Nights lately, have you?

Heh. Somebody say:

O mon you so fonny! Younger people don't gots de money!

Go to Reno for Hot August Nights sometime, and you'll see fantastic street rods of every description. . . owned by GEEZERS! It turns out that we work and work and work until we can afford the cars we lusted after in high school.

Nothing else would explain the roadster or the money I have dumped in my turbo iX. . .

bcweir

Either that or New York is so hard up for cash...

that the State of NY has gone into the used car resale business.

ForcedInduction guest

tiFreak

never said they had a lot, I just said they spent all of it, trust me, I'm probably closer to that age then anyone in this thread :p