Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Who'd like to see the other versions here?

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by Dr Obnxs, Apr 20, 2008.

Dr Obnxs guest

I really think BMW is missing a new trend in smaller cars by not bringing the 3 door and the 5 door to the US. Times are a changing here, partly driven by gas prices, partly driven by sanity.

A friend of mine is selling a small car he bought 3 years ago for only $500 less than he paid for it! It's because of the gas mileage..... If BMW brought more of the smaller cars and less powerful engines, they might even be able to make thier stated/desired growth numbers!

Matt

az3579

What is he selling? Bought it new or used?
    • Staff

steven s

I'd love to see the hatchback here. BMW NA is still stuck on the thought that hatches don't sell. More E36s hatchbacks where sold than convertibles and tourings. :rolleyes:
    I'd like a 120td hatchback.

Dr Obnxs guest

Part of me thinks...

that they are doing some math on sales taken from Mini as well. After all, that's a hatchback if ever there was one, and it's selling really well.

BMW is really missing the boat as they could indocranate more into the brand with something closer to an entry level car. Right now, the wife and I are considering something to take the place of our MDX (it's old, and only gets 16-18 mpg) but the one series is out of the picture cause it's only a 2 door coupe and we have two small kids. Right now we're looking at a Mini Clubman. BMW has nothing that we're even remotely interested in. Nothing that meets our needs for less than about $50k. And that wouldn't get very good gas mileage cause pretty much all BMWs here need a diet.

I would love a 1 series 5 door diesel. That might get me in the showroom.

Matt

Kraln guest

I really don't think that the 1 series is going to cannibalize any of the mini sales. I, for one, am totally not interested in a front-wheel-drive tiny plastic toy car. I would much rather have a full-on german rwd diesel five door.

I think I'm going to have to import one when my ti dies.

Dr Obnxs guest

Well, if everyone were like you...

I could see your point. But thankfully everyone isn't. Funny you should call the Mini a "plastic toy car" as lots of its parts were engineered by the very same folks who designed what you drive.

FWIW, there are many Mini owners who are very curious about the one series. Maybe they're just a little more open minded about the fact that there's more than one way to skin the automotive cat. I used to curious about the one series. Got to drive it and it wasn't what I wanted for lots of reasons.

But before you keep dissing the Mini, you should drive one. While it is a bit underpowered and FWD, there are lots and lots and lots of higher HP drivers of nice cars that have been spanked by them cause of the chassis and handling.

The point I was trying to make is that BMW seems to never bring the lower priced European versions here. This is an appearnant play (at least to me) to keep the average price point up and keep the "exculsivity" factor alive over the number of sales that they'd gain with a lower cost entry point. I'd really love to see the 5 door deisel here. But I doubt it's in any current plan at BMW headquarters...

If the "ante" into the BMW game were to come down, then they would compete with lots of other cars because of the price point. Independant of the drive wheels or whatever. Money is the great equalizer here.

Matt

Kraln guest

I'm aware. It is, however, targeted at a completely different market segment and it looks like a plasticy, toy car. See: overt fender flares

I've driven my friend's mini-s. I don't like the interior, I don't like the oversteer, I don't like the traction control, etc etc.

Also, you seem to mistake what I am asking for. I want the 116 or the 118 - I could care less about power. 60mpg out of a five door would be great.

I agree, it's strange. You can get the other models in practically every other market, including Australia.

BMW is hurting from the deprecation of the dollar. I've no doubt if they brought their 50+ mpg diesels to this country, they'd make it up quickly.

Dr Obnxs guest

You got me thinking...

maybe if they did bring the lower end versions of the one series in they could atract buyers WITHOUT spending money on a facebook campaign!

And the diesels are coming, but you can bet that BMW will just bring the high end ones here too!

Matt

Kraln guest

Edd Zachary.

Why spend money on people who don't have the money to spend it on you?
    There is a reason VW sales are picking up...

ChestertheK

I would buy in an instant the 3 door hatch but only with a 2 Ltr, 4 Zylinder. I want fun, good gas milage. I don't need a lot of Jimcracks and Googahs and things that go bump in the night. Chet Kingsbury #1188

morea3ic guest

Bmw NA . . . .

BMW built their rep on 4 pots (2002, E30 M3, 2.0L - E36 M3 Racers) . . . . now you can't even buy one in the USA . . . .

They have a great & diverse line of powertrains in Europe, most of which is MIA in NA . . . .

If you want to see - try here: www.bmw.co.uk

Now the tide has turned, & BMW has nothing to offer peeps that want an efficient, economical, fun automobile.

The big diesel they're bringing over here won't sell - diesel buyers want MILEAGE!

They need to do a little more forward thinking & less lamenting over the past in NJ.

Best.

CrazyFocusDriva guest

3-Door 1 series

Does anyone know if its possible to get the 3-door 1 series to the states? i.e. through customs? I really want one!!! :D

morea3ic guest

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum!

Agreed - the 3 & 5 dr 1 Series hatches are sweet & practical too.

With BMW's efficient smaller gas & diesel 4's - they would be a hit . . . .

MINI is a good alternative for peeps who aren't hooked on RWD :D . . . .

Best.

CrazyFocusDriva guest

Yeh I have looked at the Mini but i don't know it just doesn't grab me for some reason. Also i see complaints of no rebates now on the 1 series. This was going to be my first BMW purchase and I am already getting skeptical about it. Maybe have to go to the Audi Dealer when they come out with their new hatch in '09

nomowhale

I just traded in my 2003 530i for a certified 2006 Audi A3. I wanted a Mini Cooper S but with 2 young children my wife rationally said "pick again" so I went with the A3. The 128i was also a no. I am praying my next car is going to be a BMW 123d. With gas prices only going up and projected to reach $7.00 a gallon in 2010, the tendency will be for consumers to purchase smaller, more economical cars in this country. I hope that BMW brings a practical 1-Series diesel hatchback to the US. I love hatchbacks but I may be in the minority.

Larry

ewedel guest

Am also looking for a RWD hatchback. The 5 door in a 120 would be delightful. I've been quite happily driving a 318ti but it is starting to get a bit old, though it still runs well.

Odd, it seems like BMW's US marketing is held captive by one demographic -- hopefully the current environment provides enough excuse for them to accept there is a "business case" for a nice four-cylinder. I expect there always was, and also that a 1-series hatch could happily co-exist with Mini.

Would really rather not have to buy an A3 -- Audi's reliability and ridiculous (imo) front grill are not attractive.

regards, Eric

danversstate

I would defiantly welcome the 3 & 5 door models. This fall when I was in Munich that is all I saw. I saw ONE 1 Series coupe, every other car on the road there was a 1 series "hatchback". I would buy one!

-Nate

Pyewacket1

Ummmm... In which state/area do you reside? Looks like the projection was off a bit...

$7.00/gallon in 2010?

bcweir

There actually is a way to get non-North American BMW cars here

... the catch is that it ain't cheap, it ain't quick, and paperwork-wise, isn't easy either.

Two ways:

The legal way: grey market importers will import the car into the usa by purchasing the vehicle through a third party (such as Mexico) "straw" purchaser. This purchaser then sends the vehicle on to a private conversion facility here in the USA. US spec bumpers, lighting, and exhaust are added, as well as the necessary equipment conversions from metric to American readouts. The cost of all this could easily double the retail cost of the car. Also, from start to finish, would take between six months to two years.

This is how such cars as the 2002 turbo and the E21 six cylinder cars arrived here. I should point out those cars were also not legal for US sale, yet determined USA buyers found a way to slip them into America.

Then there is the not so legal way:

Set up residence in Mexico. You're going to need to establish residence, get a driver's license there, and then go to a Mexican BMW dealer and purchase a 1-series. Once that's done, see if you can get it across the US border. No guarantee of success, but if you can do it, you'll have a 1-series so rare, you could literally sell it at a collector car price later on.

Think about it. How much would a buyer pay for a gently used 120d 1-series 3 or 5-door hatchback that nobody could buy from a US dealer anywhere???

I think that would be a model that you would definitely keep away from track day at the next HPDE. You'd have to be out of your mind to risk wrecking a car that you couldn't legally replace through the US dealer system.

jas67

Of course, now that they've admitted that the 5-GT isn't sell well, they'll use that to once again say hatches don't sell in the US (hey BMW, the MINI Cooper is a hatch -- just sayin').